Misc: Ignition/Mag-Dynos Spark Plug

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
For old magneto ignitions try to get spark plugs without resistor in the plug. Most of modern plugs got resistors in plugs and other places for electronic emiission control. But this produces weak sparks on Lucas gear. With Bosch Plugs it is marked as WR 7 on plugs , with R meaning resistor. So when in doubt , check plugs for nil resistance . Otherwise I do not buy OWTs about fake plugs all over the place. My guess, riders keep buying handbook plugs with unsuitable grade for their kind of ride today - which is mostly just pottering around . And from this they get black sooty plugs with troubles then.

Vic

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I agree with Vic’s advice on resistor spark plugs, do not use them, I do not agree that the original grades of plugs as suggested in the handbook are not good for modern riding conditions, they are, I only ever use KLG FE70 plugs in my post war Vincents and they were work really well, reliable, long lasting, perfect, and I ride in modern conditions (regrettably!)

royrobertson

VOC Member
I think It's worth looking at Brisk plugs. They are supposed to be more suitable in our old engines. I run them in my 1971 Commando and 1964 AJS single and they are not expensive. I think they are made in the Czech Republic.
roy the racer

John Oakes

Non-VOC Member
My series a meteor is running very nicely with a champion L 10. New ones available from green spark plug Co.

Attachments

• 46307F68-197D-4B98-BC90-712A3B58D1ED.jpeg
    46307F68-197D-4B98-BC90-712A3B58D1ED.jpeg
    201 KB · Views: 9
  • 7962FB5A-76A6-4DAF-902E-D5222D21184D.jpeg
    7962FB5A-76A6-4DAF-902E-D5222D21184D.jpeg
    199.7 KB · Views: 9

Alyson

VOC Member
For old magneto ignitions try to get spark plugs without resistor in the plug. Most of modern plugs got resistors in plugs and other places for electronic emiission control. But this produces weak sparks on Lucas gear. With Bosch Plugs it is marked as WR 7 on plugs , with R meaning resistor. So when in doubt , check plugs for nil resistance . Otherwise I do not buy OWTs about fake plugs all over the place. My guess, riders keep buying handbook plugs with unsuitable grade for their kind of ride today - which is mostly just pottering around . And from this they get black sooty plugs with troubles then.

Vic
not just the plug, but the cap too. Make sure your cap is not of the resistor type. If they are, they will be marked on the side with a value and ohms.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
If you are not hung up on originality, NGK make a really good black non resistor plug cap, you do not use the screw on plug top, the NGK cap goes straight onto the threaded part of the plug, which I think is a good thing.

P.S. It looks like the Club Spares sell the NGK spark plug cap as an unspecified manufacturer, but it is definitely NGK and unsuppressed.

Last edited:

Marvel

VOC Member
NGK BP6ES works for me.
B = 13/16”AF hexagon
P = projected insulator less likely to oil up
6 = heat range between KLG FE70 and 80
E = 3/4” reach seems right for my bronze head
S = 2.5mm copper core