Smiths 8 Day Clock

Old Bill

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Howard, l would be most interested in the clock you describe. My aim is to have a unit that whilst functional utilising modern technology does not look out of place on 1950 circa motorcycle. Excellent joke re 0/60 time! Many thanks and seasons greetings.

Howard

VOC Member
Hi Bill, this might take a couple of days, He doesn't come to section meetings anymore, but I know where he lives (that sounds like a threat).

Howard

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I'm sure it would be possible to make a clock using a speedo casing, the 8 day clock face and arms and the mechanism from a battery powered clock.

Chris

highbury731

VOC Member
I'm sure it would be possible to make a clock using a speedo casing, the 8 day clock face and arms and the mechanism from a battery powered clock.

Chris

I think the 8 day motorcycle clock has a shallower casing than a speedo body. Anyone confirm that? Anyone have a source for the 'aviation' style clock face?

The clock Draganfly offer is a cosmetic replica of the period Smiths motorcycle clock, and has a 2" case with a traditional aviation-style Smiths face, and a battery quartz movement,

An alternative Smiths clock which is available off EvilBay is the 'dashboard' clock as here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-Vintage...05&prg=11472&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=321618638806&rt=nc

It's like a pocket watch with the knob at the bottom, ideal for allowing any water ingress to drain out. It is designed to be mounted to a steel car dashboard by magnet glued to the rear face of the clock. I expect that the magnet can be removed and say velcro glued to the back, and a mount added to the handlebar clamp area. No idea if it will survive the vibrations of a motorcycle engine.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I use a small quartz clock in an alloy mount, just fastens to the bars, check out "time4bikes" must have had it a couple of years now and still keeping perfect time on original battery.
Chris.

vibrac

VOC Member
I have a plastic battery 2" square alarm clock taped to the top of my front brake hydraulic on my Trail bike. it never fails to show the time correctly rain or mud and a tap on the top shows me the time in the dark, I have used it on 2 lands end trials (a year apart) and twice as I left the start line and looked at the clock I have thought "when did I last change the battery?:confused:"

Howard

VOC Member
Since my Laverda speedo drive broke on the Egli, I have a bicycle speedo with a digital clock, otherwise I wouldn't have a clock, everything I use seems to have a clock nowadays, phone, computer, TV, car, I've even got a clock that tells the time.

H

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I think the 8 day motorcycle clock has a shallower casing than a speedo body. Anyone confirm that? Anyone have a source for the 'aviation' style clock face?

The clock Draganfly offer is a cosmetic replica of the period Smiths motorcycle clock, and has a 2" case with a traditional aviation-style Smiths face, and a battery quartz movement,

An alternative Smiths clock which is available off EvilBay is the 'dashboard' clock as here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-Vintage-Smiths-Dashboard-Clock-1950-60s/161486920259?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=28111&meid=c5cf680e9a024bfcbeac1ae33233be7e&pid=100005&prg=11472&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=321618638806&rt=nc

It's like a pocket watch with the knob at the bottom, ideal for allowing any water ingress to drain out. It is designed to be mounted to a steel car dashboard by magnet glued to the rear face of the clock. I expect that the magnet can be removed and say velcro glued to the back, and a mount added to the handlebar clamp area. No idea if it will survive the vibrations of a motorcycle engine.
The 8 day clock was an optional extra (if not a std fitting) on most series A Vincents. If you manage to look at any Series A with one fitted, they are the same size as the speedo body in diameter and height. The mounting brackets are also the same in design and dimension except for been mirror images for the other side of the forks.

On my "A" Comet I made a replica 8 day clock using a speedo body, a modern quartz clock internals and my own printed face. The internals and hands came from:
CousinsUk.com:

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/mini-clock-movement?code=J3132M
https://www.cousinsuk.com/category/quartz-clock-hands

Just select the hands you want. be aware there are different fittings for the hands. The above movement is Non Euro Shaft fitting. A new bezel and glass came off ebay. To save dismantling every time it needs a battery change, I soldered two leads to the connections and fed them out the body through the light fitting and into the headlight where I used an AA battery and holder, so its easy to change.

You will need to make an internal bracked to mount everything and also use an old speedo face which I stuck the newly printed face onto the back with double sided tape. The face I got printed by a photo printing company and so far in 4 years it has not faded. A home printed injet print will fade over time. I also drilled a small hole in the bottom of the casing in the appropriate location so with a small screwdriver the time can be adjusted.

Regards
Simon.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
........ everything I use seems to have a clock nowadays, phone, computer, TV, car, I've even got a clock that tells the time.
H
We have so many clocks but often not enough time!
There is a time display on Garmin 660 that I use on my '48 Rapide. (660 only available on very special order in 1948 ;).)