FF: Forks Shock Absorber

nigsey

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The standard shock absorber on my Girdraulics has developed a leaky seal around the pushrod. I’m not an expert on these shockers so I don’t know if it’s something I can easily repair myself or if I can get someone to refurbish them or (heaven forbid) if I’m better off buying a new one. Help please! Nigel.

kerry

VOC Member
Personally I would use a new Ikon available from our spares company if you ask for it

kerry

VOC Member
I have tried just about all made for Vincent twin's and just giving my own opinion of what I have found best for me, other riders views may vary of course and will advise you I am sure, good luck
Kerry.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I understand why people want to use an original looking damper but a damper which has the same resistance in compression and extension is really sixty to seventy years out of date. I do not know what the Maughan damper has done to it but unless it is adjustable with stronger extension than compression resistance it will not be the best you can do for comfort and handling. The AVO front damper, to be used with the longer eyebolts, does all that you want. The twin that was illustrated for sale a day or two ago with lots of photographs has modified front and rear suspension, the JE steering stem, shortened springs, an AVO damper and a hydraulic steering damper. If you find the look of that unaceptibly different then perhaps the modified standard damper is right for you. If it took you some time to notice all the changes then perhaps you should be heading in that direction.

LoneStar

VOC Member
I don’t know if it’s something I can easily repair myself

Yes, they're very easy to disassemble. Inside there are 3 seals (2 x D11, 1 x D15) to replace; illustrations are in the Spares List MO63, and Riders Handbook.

As noted, modern replacements are better - but of course that's true of nearly every original part on a Vincent...

nigsey

VOC Member
Yes, they're very easy to disassemble. Inside there are 3 seals (2 x D11, 1 x D15) to replace; illustrations are in the Spares List MO63, and Riders Handbook.

As noted, modern replacements are better - but of course that's true of nearly every original part on a Vincent...
Thank you, that’s very helpful, I shall attempt it myself.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
The standard damper is not a lot of good, They leak,
There are a few mod's that can be done, But they will drive you MAD,
Do I use one , Yes, But I am MAD :) ,
Also if there is wear on the main rod, You will be stuffed ,
Unless you want it standard looking, I would use a new AVO,
Apart from the mod's, There was a good bit from Paul Ennis,
Where you put a bit of Bubble Wrap Inside so you can fill the unit better,
Drove me Crackers , But it works.

greg brillus

VOC Member
My findings are, the new Ikons are way too stiff for the front.......The Avo's are ok for a twin but again too stiff for a single, the new Maughan's ones are great and do not leak.......The Thorntons were great but no longer available.......I still maintain these forks do not need alot of damping......you shouldn't mask the springs with a stiff shock absorber.......thats not how suspension is supposed to work.......well according to all the motorcycle suspension gurus anyway.

nigsey

VOC Member
The standard damper is not a lot of good, They leak,
There are a few mod's that can be done, But they will drive you MAD,
Do I use one , Yes, But I am MAD :) ,
Also if there is wear on the main rod, You will be stuffed ,
Unless you want it standard looking, I would use a new AVO,
Apart from the mod's, There was a good bit from Paul Ennis,
Where you put a bit of Bubble Wrap Inside so you can fill the unit better,
Drove me Crackers , But it works.
Thanks Bill. I’m not too fussed about having it standard, the bike was pretty much standard looking when I bought it but it can always be put back to ‘standard’ when I pop my clogs and the lady of the house sells it on.