Series A Questions

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The 1939 print of the Vincent Annual Sales Leaflet shows a Meteor with a rear light that look like a 35E but it is not possible to see the rear light on the illustration of the Comet (both have pillion seats)

View attachment 16537

The 1939 Miller Spare Parts List offers two tail lamps, both complete with bulb and cable - the 35E (1 shilling& 9 pence)and also the 39E (3 shillings & 6 pence) - the difference being the 39E is "Designed specially to illuminate large number plate" - however the List shows the same illustration (R121) for both lamps (and spare bulb holder - spring & pad)

View attachment 16536

From the pictures Davidd uploaded it would appear some machines had the 39E even if they were twice the price of the 35E?

There was also a stop lamp available (the 29E) - "similar in design to the 39E. Supplies complete with two bulbs, cables and switch for brake pedal" for 9 shillings & 6 pence! There is of course no reference to a stop light being available in the 1939 catalogue

I find it interesting that all of the photographs and illustrations I have seen show no protrusion of a convex headlamp glass

SteveE
The headlamp glass was flat and fluted. Convex 8" are post war.

greg brillus

VOC Member
I know this has been asked before but can someone post a really good picture showing the colour of the Burgundy fuel tanks......I have about 3 different variants of tanks to repaint and I want to get the colour as accurate as I can. I have an excellent Dupont colour match book in front of me so I can match it. Because the paint is very expensive I want to get it right if I can.......Cheers, Greg.

Albervin

VOC Member
I know this has been asked before but can someone post a really good picture showing the colour of the Burgundy fuel tanks......I have about 3 different variants of tanks to repaint and I want to get the colour as accurate as I can. I have an excellent Dupont colour match book in front of me so I can match it. Because the paint is very expensive I want to get it right if I can.......Cheers, Greg.
In previous posts I have seen Ford Essex Red and GPO Red mentioned as the "correct" colour. I am sure other people can be more precise.

Dinny

VOC Member
Hi Greg,

Simon (my brother) knows the correct color code for the tank. When he wakes up he can let you know and remind me as I have forgotten.

Cheers
Mark

Dinny

VOC Member
They are excellent detail pictures. I noticed that on these bikes the footrest hangers are a different shape compared to the later ones (like used on the post war singles) It looks like the early ones had a one piece banjo fitting out of the cambox to feed oil to the rockers.
Yes, the early footrests were different and probably left over from the pre Vincent engine bikes. They were probability Rudge.
Also the cambox feed was from a single fitting as mine is like that.

Cheers
Mark

greg brillus

VOC Member
Thanks for that guy's......Just remember some were actually a "red" colour whilst others were a burgundy, not the same thing. Cheers.......Greg.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Thanks for that guy's......Just remember some were actually a "red" colour whilst others were a burgundy, not the same thing. Cheers.......Greg.
I'm 99.9% certain that the "red" marked in the build sheets, like my Comet is listed, is in reality Maroon. Simon has all the details.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Bob Stafford told me Ford Imperial Maroon code AZ was close and that he didn't think bright red was ever used. It's a late 1950's European Ford code. Amazingly I went to a local auto paint supplier with my petrol tank which still had traces of the original maroon on the underside in places and they scanned the colour and agreeded it was very close. They even found AZ in the computer and mixed some.

In the works records some are entered as maroon and some red. Now looking at the handwriting maroon is entered by one person and red a different person. I think as maroon is a type of red sometimes red was entered as is is quicker. My bike says red on the works order, but as stated above there was traces of maroon on the underside, but no bright red. Also an unrestored bike that the owners uncle bought from new (he's listed as the customer in the works order) turned up 2 years ago. This bike was laid up in 1940 due to the war and never used since. It's in rough condition, but importantly has a maroon tank. In the works order this is described as red. So I think red and maroon was the same.
Simon

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I spoke to Andrew Walker the series A section dis-organiser about this and he is of the same opinion that red and maroon is the same thing and that it was maroon. Difficult to prove as all the period photos are in black and white, but all the evidence points to it been maroon.

greg brillus

VOC Member
My color chart has about 1000 different "Maroon's" on it...........Do you think I can pick one the same.......o_O........I know my eye's are not as good as they were, so I'll go and see the paint pro's tomorrow before I fork out and buy some, as the stuff we use is expensive.