ET: Engine (Twin) Separating Head and Barrel

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
If you suffer from Red Hematite you'll need to thoroughly clean out every thread in the crankcases for starters, mate.
Red Hermatite is no trouble, Comes off easy,
All we need with Vincents ,
Is red stuff and Solvo Autosol to make it sparkle ! :) .

eharris

VOC Member
UPADTE

Well, it came off, eventually....

Had to apply some heat in the end.

Warmed the muff up, put the wood back in and gave it a few good knocks. "Ah", I think, "That it's starting to move", but no, it was the liner moving out of the muff by about an 1/8". Arrgh. What did I say about SNAFU, above?!

Left it to cool a bit, then hammered some bits of 1/4" ply in to the resulting gap between the muff and the head, and finally they came apart.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Looks like oversize liners are in the picture.

Our @greg brillus just gets new liner and muff assemblies from VOCSC instead of the challenge of properly renewing the liners himself.

CarlHungness

VOC Member
I know this is an old thread but here's a photo of a method to pull the cylinder itself. There's another wooden block on top of the piston you can't see very well. I can't recall who described it, but I cobbled together the parts and they worked perfectly.

Attachments

• Vin Cyl. Removal.jpg
    Vin Cyl. Removal.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 35

vibrac

VOC Member
I must have been blessed in all my years and innumerable strip downs I have never had a recalcitrant head or barrel once the nuts are off and the spark plugs are in the whole lot lifts under slight compression anyway