ET: Engine (Twin) Separating Head and Barrel

eharris

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello all,

I decided to have a go at taking the the heads off my rapide. I started on the rear head and having undone everything, that barrel came away with the head too!

The pair are now sat on my bench, but refusing to separate! I have soaked some penetrating oil in to the joint and left it for for the moment.

Any hints on how to get them apart gratefully received!

Cheers,

Ed.

eharris

VOC Member
“This shouldn’t happen…”

I enjoy being different! :)

But more seriously, the previous owner clearly has shares in whoever made red heamatite, so I do suspect that is the glue holding them together.

I shall try Vic’s suggestion, but expect to read shortly that I managed to shoot the head through the window!

Cheers,

Ed.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Yep, I've had barrels bonded on to the head with half a tube of 518 Loctite........used all the above methods but non worked........Ended up using some heat, then drove a very sharp wood chisel into the joint, and away the 2 separated finally........took some cleaning up as the sealer had gone like rock........It sounds like butchery, but it did basically nill harm.........Good luck with it.

brian gains

VOC Member
what's so hard about lapping a gas tight seal. or is it FUBAR necessitating sealer ?
or, is sealer used in the same manner as tucking your shirt into your underpants, not really necessary but in the event of a clothing failure it offers an additional safety margin.

vibrac

VOC Member
I cannot understand what is difficult in getting a good seal by ensuring the correct assembly why would anyone stick goo in there? or even god for-fend a copper gasket! I must say I have stripped more heads from barrels than I care to think and I have never found such a bodge.
incidentally shirt inside pants is a given I cant stand a cold back when riding

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
what's so hard about lapping a gas tight seal. or is it FUBAR necessitating sealer ?
or, is sealer used in the same manner as tucking your shirt into your underpants, not really necessary but in the event of a clothing failure it offers an additional safety margin.
Thank goodness for online urban dictionaries!