seat hight

derek

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Has anyone considered using the rear sidecar attachment for attachment of rear suspension to lower the seat hight? I know that a slot would have to be made to take the damper and possibily screw out spring box adjusters to avoid contact with rear frame. Then obviously alter seat.

davidd

VOC Member
Has anyone considered using the rear sidecar attachment for attachment of rear suspension to lower the seat hight? I know that a slot would have to be made to take the damper and possibily screw out spring box adjusters to avoid contact with rear frame. Then obviously alter seat.

This was done on my Comet Racer. The seat mount was removed and the various attachments were made to the sidecar lug. Please consider the seat to peg distance as it was 11" on the Racer. When I stopped racing the Grey Flash I turned the Comet Racer into a Grey Flash Racer after a crash. I replaced the UFM and the seat top to peg distance is a more comfortable 13" I believe. If your pegs are high enough to corner well, that short seat to peg measurement can cause some issues.

David

vibrac

VOC Member
I have an ultra low seat (single) on my road comet I fitted a 50's Perguso rubber saddle to the end of the UFM (this was for Angie who is on the small side). When I straddle the Comet with both feet flat on the ground I must have 1-2" clearance to the saddle (I am only 5-81/2) I also have slightly raised bars Its the height of comfort but the pegs are high (too high for Ange they give her cramp) but me, I love it, so for the moment it stays, only problem is the compact riding position means its vunerable to side winds.
Of course its main advantage is it upsets the purists :=)
But then a few bolts and its back to a standard seat

derek

VOC Member
Thanks for replies. My problem is (age) getting good foot contact with the ground (leg length) to support bike/self/ pilion/luggage, espesially at adverse camber road junctions. Hence lower seat hight required: I am 5'8" leg 29" ?

clevtrev

VOC Member
Thanks for replies. My problem is (age) getting good foot contact with the ground (leg length) to support bike/self/ pilion/luggage, espesially at adverse camber road junctions. Hence lower seat hight required: I am 5'8" leg 29" ?
Put some new soles on your boots. :)

Alan J

VOC Member
18 inch wheels? soft tyres-soggy suspension? or in my case, fit a sidecar!! not a lot of real help!! but I have one or two bikes where you don't feel comfortable, height wise, I only last week watched a friend slowly topple off his 650 A.J.S. on a badly cambered road, fortunately no damage done!