Restoring the last of the series "A" Comets.

Andy B

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Andy,

I have a much abused chainguard, what would you be looking at pricewise with shipping to NV USA for one of your copies. PM me if you prefer.

Thanks
Mark
No worries Mark, I will adjust the order to suit, would not be much he is a good friend of mine. I am assuming my chain guard is correct, would you send me a pic of yours to confirm? Mine is straight but has a piece cut out it seems, unless it was in its original state.

Dinny

VOC Member
Thanks Andy,

This is the best picture I have currently

Img_2162.jpg

A_HRD

VOC Member
You would do well to compare dimensions of your different guards. The critical distance is the straight-line dimension from the front mounting bracket hole centre to the pressed-in or braised-in captive nut towards the rear of the guard on the vertical surface. This captive nut fastens to the tab on the lifting handle. If its in the wrong place then everything looks wrong and fits wrong with the mudguards etc.

The problem is I have long forgotten what that distance should be but I'll measure mine in the morning. It would be useful if other A Owners would do the same and submit the value here so that we get a consensus on what the right dimension should be - before you go in to production!

Peter B

greg brillus

VOC Member
I've got the genuine one off the Comet I'm doing here, so i'll measure it and let you know. Cheers.........Greg.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Ok the center line distance from the front lower mounting hole to the center of the rear anchor nut hole in the side of the guard is 417 mm or 16 3/8th s and the same rear hole is positioned 20 mm from the top of the arch and 35 mm from the lower edge of the sheet metal.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Also can someone give me the dimensions and/or a picture of the sheet metal battery cover, as I do not have one at all. Cheers...........Greg.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Thanks a lot Simon that's great, I'll knock one of those up before morning smoko tomorrow morning. Cheers..............Greg.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Ok the center line distance from the front lower mounting hole to the center of the rear anchor nut hole in the side of the guard is 417 mm or 16 3/8th s and the same rear hole is positioned 20 mm from the top of the arch and 35 mm from the lower edge of the sheet metal.

This is a reproduction chainguard from many years ago. The depth of the main part of it is 2-3/8". It's 17" centre to centre and approx 35mm vertically up and down from captive nut to top of arch and bottom of sheet metal where it is curved. That's a big difference to Greg's dimensions. I suspect I will be moving the captive nut when I get to dry-building the RFM!! Hence, if I were commissioning a batch today, I would leave-out the captive nut/hole and deal with it myself once the best position is found with all the other variables of mudguard and stays/tabs. Food for thought? Any other dimensions out there for comparison?
P1070591.JPG
P1070590.JPG

Peter B