FT: Frame (Twin) Removing and fitting footrest rubbers

Duff 51

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
replacing footrest rubbers

Has anyone perfected a technique to remove and replace the Vincent footrest rubbers without splitting them, I have tried lubricating the rubber with washing up liquid and pressing them on using a large vice but they still split, any other ideas.

Regards Ben

Ben
Try spraying brake clean on both the peg and inside the rubber rest, it's the stuff in the spray can that is used to clean and de-grease brake shoes. Brake Clean will evaporate very quickly but provide lubrication, it can also be used to ease slipping those pesky rubber grips on the throttle grip and handlebars too. You should be able to buy the spray can stuff at auto parts stores like NAPA or Auto Zone.
Duff

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I've just had sausages, caramelised onions and mash - maybe that'll work for me too.....
Phil

Be careful when using the compressed air to deal with this situation. Lower the air pressure to 80-90 PSI and move the nozzle at least two inches back from all openings......

Glen

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Some of the forged footrest hangers are rough , have sharp edges or are simply too big around on their ends . Grind off the rough areas and reduce a bit the diameter of the end nub . Spray with contact spray , both steel and rubber . Pop em on with a hammer blow working quickly . Position and let dry . Sid .

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Would it help if they were warmed before fitting? I don't know, just thinking out loud. I seem to remember recently reading that washing up liquid becomes non slippy when it dries
- I don't read a lot, so if that's true, I probably read it on this forum.

My problem is keeping handlebar grips on. Pulled the Egli on the stand after returning from club night in the rain, to watch it fall away from me to lean against the bench (lucky), while I looked a proper ****** standing holding the grip!!

H

With regards to your grips not staying on. I've found if I take a can of hair spray belonging to the Mrs., when she isn't around to object, and spray the end of the bar liberally and a little into the grip, the grip slides right on and after a short while it's isn't going anywhere. It even says on the can will hold in damp and humid conditons. :rolleyes:
Steven

Steve F

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Appreciatte this is a 5 year old post, but thanks because it saved me hours of wrestling. I made one additional revision to one of the suggestions and I'd bet I got them all off unharmed inside 30 seconds each. Set-up is: with the footrest rubber rested on the top of your vice and the metal part pointing down - vice closed but not gripping the metal , create a rope loop through the metal eye just short of the ground by "say" 6 inches -this is going to be your stirrup. Now place the metal and rubber in a pan of hot water (mine was boiling) for 30 seconds. Quick back out to the garage place the footrest as before and place one foot in the stirrup so you can apply your weight to pulling the metal part out (downwards). Wow they all came out quickly. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

vibrac

VOC Member
Appreciatte this is a 5 year old post, but thanks because it saved me hours of wrestling. I made one additional revision to one of the suggestions and I'd bet I got them all off unharmed inside 30 seconds each. Set-up is: with the footrest rubber rested on the top of your vice and the metal part pointing down - vice closed but not gripping the metal , create a rope loop through the metal eye just short of the ground by "say" 6 inches -this is going to be your stirrup. Now place the metal and rubber in a pan of hot water (mine was boiling) for 30 seconds. Quick back out to the garage place the footrest as before and place one foot in the stirrup so you can apply your weight to pulling the metal part out (downwards). Wow they all came out quickly. Thanks
Don't apologise it a pleasure to meet someone using this forums resources properly rather than the continual reaperance of the same questions angain and again

stu spalding

VOC Member
Don't apologise it a pleasure to meet someone using this forums resources properly rather than the continual reaperance of the same questions angain and again
I was recently supplied with a pair of foot rest rubbers without an internal cavity to take the lump on the end of the peg. Beware! Cheers, Stu.