Recommissioning a Comet.

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Paul. Your local section meets at The Bay Horse in Fulford, York (on the A19 about 1/2 mile from A64 junction) on the first Tuesday of the month and we would be glad to see you, we have some members out your way I'm sure. It may seem a way but it is a good excuse for a run out, it's a 48 mile run each way for me by the way.
Chris.

b'knighted

VOC Member
Hi Paul. Your local section meets at The Bay Horse in Fulford, York (on the A19 about 1/2 mile from A64 junction) on the first Tuesday of the month and we would be glad to see you, we have some members out your way I'm sure. It may seem a way but it is a good excuse for a run out, it's a 48 mile run each way for me by the way.
Chris.
Very kind, but this is a public access forum - has anyone recommended that Paul should consider joining the VOC?

Ken Tidswell

VOC Member
My first post. Hi - I've just purchased a 1951 Comet that's totally original but has been laid up for 15 years. I'm not new to classic bikes but I might need some advice. The oil tank appears to be empty so I'm not sure if all the oil has drained into the crankcase. Is there any procedure for cleaning out and re-filling the system? I'm Ok with the cycle parts. The carb is none standard (an Amal Concentric MK2) which is gummed up. I should be Ok with this. The engine turns over Ok.

Any advice would really be appreciated.
The oilfilter chamber hides under the mag cowl ,below the magneto. If the forks have stainless spindles , then you should be ok. It is a very good idea to check for fore and aft play in the eccentrics, but if it has been rebuilt with stainless eccentrics and bronze bushes in the past these should just need a good greasing. You should definitely check how much grease there is in the box.I live in Cleckheaton, and am a member of the York section , and have few years experience of these beasts, and can help if necessaryAnd you should consider joining the VOC. If it is fitted with the original Vincent dampers you can amuse yourself finding out if there is any oil in them ,usually very little. We must see if we can somehow talk if you have any serious problems.
Ken Tidswell

Albervin

VOC Member
The oil filter cap can be a bit of a nuisance to remove and a 1/2" drive socket of appropriate dimensions is a good tool to have. Always fill oil chamber via the banjo bolt on the RHS before starting bike. Always remove any air from oil lines too. There are some handy little modified banjo bolts that simplify this procedure. Personally, I have never interfered with what lies deep in my oil tank. If it is stuck then I leave it stuck. Once you start flushing you have to complete the job. Lazy? Maybe. But after some 30 years of Vincent riding in various weather I have never had an issue. Change oil twice a year irrespective of miles covered. For the gearbox of my Comet I have used Penrite semi fluid grease from day one. Sluggish changes for the first few miles then nice and slick afterwards with minimum drip. Before starting bike, pour some oil down each rocker cover and kick through with valve lifter pulled in about 20 times (or use rollers). Oil the spindles and check wheel bearings. There is a chance the RFM bearings will need fresh grease too. If the rear seat stays have been tightened for a long time you may need to replace the friction material in them. Good luck.

Howard

VOC Member
Thanks for that Bruce, the guy I bought the bike off gave me a couple of manuals including the riders handbook which seems to cover most things.
Probably got enough info now to sort the lubrication out, next thing will be to see if there's a spark at the plug!

Ahhh the innocence/niavety of a new owner, how I remember it well. :) I've had one 40 years and still don't know how that dribble of oil lubricates the parts other dribbles can't reach, and as for spark plugs, search for the 323 threads here on which one to use. :D

Welcome to the forum, Paul, but join the club and get down to the section meetings, you'll find solutions to problems you didn't know you had.

H

Howard

VOC Member
Paul, you'll understand the "dribble" comments better when you start it. You'll look at the oil return pipe and rush to the forum to ask the usual questions about the "lack of" return oil flow.

H

john998

VOC Member
Hello Paul, many years ago there was a VOC section in Hull, I used to attend, not a lot of use to you but interesting.
Can recommend the York section, you will find people who will help in your learning curve.
The Vincent is worthy of study, and will bring you in to contact with many interesting people .
John.