Rear Spring over Damper for Series D.

MikeC

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi,
The rear spring over damper on my D needs to be replaced. The unit that is currently on the bike is in a bad way. I have no idea what it is, it's very badly corroded and I can't see any manufacturer names or numbers.
The Thornton seems to be well thought of but its pretty expensive (what isn't), I was hoping to get something that works well but looks like the Armstrong, if that's possible.
Anyone got any ideas.
Thanks, Mike.

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Mike, I notice your post did not receive any replies, I think your options are somewhat limited, although a D Thornton shock is listed in MPH I do not think it is available at the moment, with little prospect of any in the future, might be worth giving Dave Molloy a call, but as you say the cost would be high, I did pick up what appears to be an OK original Armstrong unit, but bearing in mind its age that might not have been a wise purchase, it cost me plenty. I think your best option if originality is not high on you list of priorities is an AVO unit, I am unable to give you the exact reference number that you need, but my understanding is that they make shock of pretty much the spec and dimensions that we require, you might have to make slight modifications to the eyes at each end, they might do this for you, and then you simply decide the rate of spring that you require, they will advise you on this and fit it for you, Good luck.
Peter

MikeC

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks Peter, it seems as if you are right and the options are indeed limited. While the originality is appealing, I have to say, not to the extent that it keeps me off the road. I shall follow up now with an AVO unit and in the longer term keep looking.
Thanks again, Mike