Rear mudguard Hinge Rivets

youngjohn

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
What is the purpose of the two small rivets in the rear mudguard hinge considering there are bolts which hold the mudguard sections on?

greg brillus

VOC Member
The shape of their heads to me suggests that they are similar to rivets used on old school British Aircraft....so it may be a neat and subtle way of saying that Vincent's really fly..;) How many people use the right dolly and snaps to install them......? Looks great when done correctly, with no "Smilies or ugly flats when done on an incorrect flat surface. You can make a simple "Snap" by machining the same shape as the rivet head into a piece of descent hardwood, by modifying a drill bit the same diameter and sinking it lightly into the endgrain of the wood enough to cup the rivet head, the tail can be "Set" using a good flat steel punch. Done it many times and it works very well. Sorry not sure of the exact reason, only it does seem very British to me, and it is a nice small feature to these unique machines. Cheers....Greg.

vibrac

VOC Member
Get a bit of scrap alloy and a ball bearing together in a vice-you wont get a better 'anvil' for the head
My guess it was intended for those alloy two rivet motorcycle dealer plates that were the norm in the forties and fifties

ernie

VOC Assistant Secretary
VOC Member
I reckon the rivets get a better fit between the mudguard and the bracket which is not a perfect curve. My early B has no holes for the rivets.

Albervin

VOC Member
My understanding is a rivet has an interference fit with the metal and gives a much more secure fastening than a screw or bolt. There must be a reason why aeroplanes and ships are riveted and not bolted. I used the hardwood and punch technique on mine.

youngjohn

Non-VOC Member
Just wouldn't have thought that two 1/8th rivets would have made much difference to a part that is bolted on with 3 x 1/4 bolts.
I recon Ernie's answer is looking the most plausible.