FF: Forks Re-made (by Maughans) original Vin front damper

Oldhaven

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Videan side stand down, big kick to ensure good follow through, oops, still in first gear. Good thing I have a crash bar. These bikes get heavier to pick up as you get older.

fogrider

VOC Member
There is certainly far more to it, I go on about trail (which is essential) but rake is a major factor, directly linked to trail, plus the weight of all the components ahead of the steering stem. Phil Irving comments in one of the books that as much weight as possible is removed or move backwords from the steering stem. How those twins with twin 5" clocks ride I'm not sure. It certainly is all a compromise. My original issue raised on here was damper travel. It was topping out on rough roads on the way to Bawtry. I have finally ended up with original 15" outers plus 1.1/4" packers, long eye bolts and the lower link just down at its' rear. The damper now sits at 1/3rd travel used The result is satisfactory in all tests except the fork travel which cannot match the modified stems. But, it's a Vin twin and pretty well as born. I'm happy to live with this experience ! Vroom................!
Regards, Terry

bmetcalf

VOC Member
There must be a lot of variables that affects handling, my Buell has a 52" wheelbase, 3.3" trail, and 21 deg rake which all seems pretty marginal, but does just fine without a steering damper.

vibrac

VOC Member
There is certainly far more to it, I go on about trail (which is essential) but rake is a major factor, directly linked to trail, plus the weight of all the components ahead of the steering stem. Phil Irving comments in one of the books that as much weight as possible is removed or move backwords from the steering stem. How those twins with twin 5" clocks ride I'm not sure. It certainly is all a compromise. My original issue raised on here was damper travel. It was topping out on rough roads on the way to Bawtry. I have finally ended up with original 15" outers plus 1.1/4" packers, long eye bolts and the lower link just down at its' rear. The damper now sits at 1/3rd travel used The result is satisfactory in all tests except the fork travel which cannot match the modified stems. But, it's a Vin twin and pretty well as born. I'm happy to live with this experience ! Vroom................!
Regards, Terry
I find my self wondering about the fully sprung headlight that was supposedly planned for the Girdraulic fork (see KTB for instance), I can see the two bosses on the bottom casting ready for the holes (often appropriated by steering damper guys) but how did PCV intend to support from the top? over or inside top link? or was there only support from underneath? does anyone have a sketch of the design or did it stay in PCV's head?

Chris Launders

VOC Member
A lot of the older girder forks had that type of mounting with tapered holes and substantial brackets without top mounts.

Because the headlamp would now be fully sprung would you actually need top mounts.

Vince Farrell

VOC Member
I find my self wondering about the fully sprung headlight that was supposedly planned for the Girdraulic fork (see KTB for instance), I can see the two bosses on the bottom casting ready for the holes (often appropriated by steering damper guys) but how did PCV intend to support from the top? over or inside top link? or was there only support from underneath? does anyone have a sketch of the design or did it stay in PCV's head?
Like the proposed sidecar mounting on the RFM, I don't think any drawings or sketches have survived (if they ever existed).

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
I don't know what PCV intended but the Indian Vincent (not the Vindian) had a fully sprung headlamp using the two bosses and a bifurcated bracket to a single mounting point on the underside of the (Indian) headlamp.

Len Matthews

VOC Member
I don't know what PCV intended but the Indian Vincent (not the Vindian) had a fully sprung headlamp using the two bosses and a bifurcated bracket to a single mounting point on the underside of the (Indian) headlamp.
That's true, there is is photo somewhere that shows that arrangment.