ET: Engine (Twin) Quick way to set valve timing?

Rob H

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Apologies, if this is a well known trick but it caught me by surprise.

I was setting the valve timing as per Richardson (intake 40-42deg @ 5thou lift), had fitted the heads temporarily to do this.

When I took the heads off again and set all the cam wheels and half time pinion to the set up position I saw that the number 1 cylinder (rear) was at TDC!

So based on this it looks like you can pretty much set up the cam timing without the need to use dial gauges?

Attachments

• IMG_4092a.JPG
    IMG_4092a.JPG
    462.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4103.JPG
    IMG_4103.JPG
    466 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4105.JPG
    IMG_4105.JPG
    454.2 KB · Views: 26

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
A good reason to mark cam wheels and the ENGINE CASE at equal lift ! So you do the dial-on-valve job only once and have easy to read references ever after - and simple for setting valve timing anyway.
First I have extra light valve springs fitted for easy turning the camshafts by fingers. Then have two clocks or digital types on valve stem ends, zero them on ground circle with nil tappet clearance set. Next turn cam for equal open reading on clocks and mark cam gear PLUS engine case at suitable position like in my photos. Do same job on next camgear . That way you find equal open any time later , no clocks required and great for finding best position to engage idler and half time pinion and its five slots on crankshaft - at 4 degrees BTDC certainly by timing disc on crank.
When exchanging cams or camgear you have to mark one side for fresh references of course , but only then.

Vic
P1070932.JPG

P1070934.JPG