E: Engine Problem

LoneStar

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Interesting - is that the point corresponding to the maximum resistance you can feel when rotating the magneto armature by hand? My (limited) understanding is that it's key to the magneto design (internal timing) - but is knowing it exactly useful to us ordinary mortals, 70 years on?

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Interesting - is that the point corresponding to the maximum resistance you can feel when rotating the magneto armature by hand? My (limited) understanding is that it's key to the magneto design (internal timing) - but is knowing it exactly useful to us ordinary mortals, 70 years on?
Yes… corresponds with maximum resistance.

As for usefulness (finding the flip point), it is pretty limited unless you need to set or adjust the internal timing for some reason. I took a K2FC magneto housing, which is similar to the aluminum KVFTT and modified it to look/ work like a Lightning mag. One of the many steps was to modify a KVF cam ring so it would work with a slack wire advance, which means cutting the slot so the ring can rotate and the slot for the adv/ret linkage. So basically setting the internal timing. I used the meter to determine the flip point and then held it in place using a Derlin bolt in where the ground brush goes. It can be done without the meter, but the meter is cheap and it’s an extremely accurate way of finding it if you need to. Converting the mag was a daunting task, but got some valuable help and guidance from fellow members and Bill at Brightspark.

IMG_4999.jpeg

Last edited: