ET: Engine (Twin) Primary Drive Chain Alignment Help

Rob H

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Installing the primary drive on a restoration but the chain does not seem to be aligned properly between the drive and clutch sprockets.

When using the crankcase face edge as a datum the rear seems to be a whole link "out" when compared with the front which seems o be just less than half a link.

Have installed the PD21 clutch spacer on the rear and nothing on the front.

Is it supposed to be like this or have I missed something?

regs
Rob

Attachments

• IMG_4194.JPG
    IMG_4194.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4197.JPG
    IMG_4197.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4199.JPG
    IMG_4199.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 44

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I usually put a straight edge across the outer face of the clutch sprocket and engine sprocket. Take it off and have another look at what you have fitted and you might also think about a new chain.

chain.JPG

Last edited:

Rob H

VOC Member
Will try and make a short video of the assembly but it is as the parts manual.

The bike did not have any primary drive, all parts are new including the chain

Rob H

VOC Member
:rolleyes: Sorted it thanks. Did use the straight edge to check.

As all the primary drive was missing I ordered all the parts and installed them without checking. However when Maughans did the crank and put the cases and gearbox together they had already installed the PD21 spacer. doh!

Rob H

VOC Member
Glad you have it sorted.
Just wanted to point out that if it is a new chain the riveting on the links I've arrowed in the photograph does not look good.
Arrgh! I see what you mean from the photo, the gap between the links. I did not notice this. I will check it out.
This was a new chain purchased from the spares company a few years ago when I was collecting parts for the rebuild. Hopefully they will take it back if no good. Doubtful if I still have the receipt.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
They may have a copy of the invoice on their computer system. Worth a phone call.

Rob H

VOC Member
Checked the chain it does have excessive side play guessing between 0.5 and 1.0mm.

Found the receipt and spoke with the Spares Co. They were very helpful and said just need to send it back and they would replace it no problems.
Great service after having the part for a while.

regs
R

oexing

VOC Member
That sideplay will be standard on chains I think, but rivetting on all links has to be correct !

Vic

Rob H

VOC Member
I agree that there is a little side play but this one was excessive. The VOC spares co agreed and there replacement was much better.
Well done them
R