PR: Proprietary Items PR23 Battery

G

Graham Smith

Picked up an old Exide battery today, which I'd like to hollow out to hold a Cyclon type battery.

Anyone got any tips/suggestions on hollowing it out without killing or poisoning myself?

Graham

PS - It's completely dry inside as the liquid has evaporated.

Attachments

• IMG_6264.JPG
    IMG_6264.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_8144.JPG
    IMG_8144.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 34

nkt267

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I just attacked mine with a hammer and chisel.
I believe that when old batteries used to be repaired the tar around the top would be melted out and the guts of the battery would be removed. I've found it is difficult enough to get the plates out after removing the top because everything inside had gummed up and also expanded.
Once the plates are out you then have to chisel away the dividers(6v battery is 3 cells). You need to be careful as I have found that the cases get brittle with age, you may not be able to get the base smooth but some soft rubber or foam will protect it. Have fun:oops::D..john

stu spalding

VOC Member
Picked up an old Exide battery today, which I'd like to hollow out to hold a Cyclon type battery.

Anyone got any tips/suggestions on hollowing it out without killing or poisoning myself?

Graham

Carrot Cycles in Lincoln do plastic replica cases of old batteries. That might just save a bit of hassle. Cheers, Stu.

Mike T

VOC Member

Graham

Hi Graham, would you mind if I used a quick snapshot of one of your pictures of the original Exide battery in an upcoming video? I'm painting a VOC spares Co. reproduction battery box and would like to show an original box as a reference. Thank you!

Last edited:

greg brillus

VOC Member
It's a catch twenty two............The original boxes are thick walled and don't collapse easily, but the new ones will accept a slightly larger battery due to the thin walls and taller cap. Try and install the largest battery you can remembering the originals were rated at 13 amp hours, small low amp hour batteries can cause the charging system to over work, and have little reserve. Cheers..............Greg.

oexing

VOC Member
Have you looked onto LiFePo4 batteries ? These are very lightweight , don´t discharge fast and dry by design. These are not the pyrotechnic type like in laptops so I will never get me a lead battery again. Yesterday I gutted a "gel" type lead battery and dumped four (12 Volts) of the LiFePo4 cells into that, ample place for more but don´t need more with a mag on the Guzzi. Just shop around in Ebay for them , either the block type or for a few cells , depending on what money you are willing to spend. Cells are great if you ever have to replace just one of them. 6 Volt blocks seem to be hard to find so you get two at 3.3 V each or four and wire two each parallel for twice the capacity.

Vic

link :
LiFePo 4 battery

davidd

VOC Member
Graham,

Are you time travelling? how did you all get to September 15th without me!

Many years ago in the past I took a battery and made a mold from it. Maybe someone on the forum would like to do that with the battery you have in the future? There are certainly some talented folks here.
EV4 Naked 6.jpg

This will give you plenty of room inside.
IMG_2249.JPG

The box above is the Lucas King of the Road battery box. the Excide is beside it.

I did not check for sizes, but these batteries have gotten some good reports:

https://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/

David

erik

VOC Member
i bought the dummy battery from the spares Company.the top cover is to soft .a friend made a replacement of Wood and painted it black. this Looks now rather period but not like the original battery.regards Erik