E: Engine Pinion Touching Thrust Washer...

50BlkShadow

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I wonder if a thread would be of much use. Folks could list what they have or what they are looking for. I stand to be corrected, but don’t think there is any harm in listing mating numbers. Without the engine number… no harm can be done? Title it “Missed Connections”?
That’s a great idea!

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I wonder if a thread would be of much use. Folks could list what they have or what they are looking for. I stand to be corrected, but don’t think there is any harm in listing mating numbers. Without the engine number… no harm can be done? Title it “Missed Connections”?
No offence, but listing here will probably achieve nothing as the number of owners who actually take notice of mating numbers are few but when the link to an engine number is known then it all becomes more meaning but that link is on a need to know basis as it’s used as a security measure to spot fakes and restamps. This is why I don’t like any numbers including mating numbers been listed on social media as it all helps the number stampers and fraudsters, and yes they are out there gathering whatever info helps them create their next fake restamped bike. I have the machine database here which contains the Vincent factory records and also the details of Vincent’s and their numbers reported to the club going back to the creation of the club in 1948 which can be used to reunite matching parts but owners first need to let me know what they have and without that info it makes the job difficult. The info held is kept confidential and only myself and Jon Lambley the Machine Researcher has access and no other club official has access. So if you have parts you wish to try and reunite (or just wish to understand what the numbers mean) then the correct procedure is to confidentiality report them to the Machine Registrar or Researcher as we only know what has survived etc if you the owners report what you have. There is an article in December MPH explaining how and what to report when you renew your membership and the system does work as I have today (Chrismas day) received several emails from owners about numbers.

I have just checked and the machine database currently contains over 130,000 (yes over 130,000) separate lines of historical info as to what parts have ever survived and been reported and that does not include the factory records which is extra, and the database is been added to every day.

Simon
VOC Machine Registrar

50BlkShadow

Active Forum User
VOC Member
No offence, but listing here will probably achieve nothing as the number of owners who actually take notice of mating numbers are few but when the link to an engine number is known then it all becomes more meaning but that link is on a need to know basis as it’s used as a security measure to spot fakes and restamps. This is why I don’t like any numbers including mating numbers been listed on social media as it all helps the number stampers and fraudsters, and yes they are out there gathering whatever info helps them create their next fake restamped bike. I have the machine database here which contains the Vincent factory records and also the details of Vincent’s and their numbers reported to the club going back to the creation of the club in 1948 which can be used to reunite matching parts but owners first need to let me know what they have and without that info it makes the job difficult. The info held is kept confidential and only myself and Jon Lambley the Machine Researcher has access and no other club official has access. So if you have parts you wish to try and reunite (or just wish to understand what the numbers mean) then the correct procedure is to confidentiality report them to the Machine Registrar or Researcher as we only know what has survived etc if you the owners report what you have. There is an article in December MPH explaining how and what to report when you renew your membership and the system does work as I have today (Chrismas day) received several emails from owners about numbers.

I have just checked and the machine database currently contains over 130,000 (yes over 130,000) separate lines of historical info as to what parts have ever survived and been reported and that does not include the factory records which is extra, and the database is been added to every day.

Simon
VOC Machine Registrar
Understood Simon! I think sending folks in that direction is the best. Again, I would like to take this opportunity to say that I am the "new guy" lol

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Understood Simon! I think sending folks in that direction is the best. Again, I would like to take this opportunity to say that I am the "new guy" lol
Sorry it wasn’t a get at yourself or anybody else in particular. We record complete bike details, matching numbers or not and also spare parts including crankcases under the bench etc which all helps reunite parts to bikes if owners are willing to. The biggest swap around I helped with was 5 bikes across 4 owners resulting in 3 bikes ending up as matching numbers due to parts been swapped around. Sometimes it doesn’t work out but it’s worth the try and only can be done if all of you owners out there help by reporting what you have.
I currently have over 10 original UK buff or green coloured UK RF60 logbooks from the 1940’s to 1970’s for Vincent‘s here that previous owners have sent to us years after selling a bike, so if the bikes ever turned up I could reunite the historical paperwork with the bike. So if owner don’t let us know what they have they could be missing out on interesting historical info.

Simon

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member

Simon
VOC Machine Registrar
No offence taken Simon. I’ll send you the numbers that I have.

brian gains

VOC Member
Go straight to Maughans, there are other engineers, and get O/S spindle you need instead of VOC spares standard O/S offered. Best advice i got was from Peter Holmes, make up go / no go piece as guide for machine shop then no misunderstandings in measurements. If spindle is loose invariably that will mean case has wallowed out to lesser or greater degree so early attention is best. Also when fitting steady plate ensure it pulls down evenly, ie doesn't rock, fit, meaasue with feeler gauges, strip, repeat.
At least this has been my experience.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Sorry it wasn’t a get at yourself or anybody else in particular. We record complete bike details, matching numbers or not and also spare parts including crankcases under the bench etc which all helps reunite parts to bikes if owners are willing to. The biggest swap around I helped with was 5 bikes across 4 owners resulting in 3 bikes ending up as matching numbers due to parts been swapped around. Sometimes it doesn’t work out but it’s worth the try and only can be done if all of you owners out there help by reporting what you have.
I currently have over 10 original UK buff or green coloured UK RF60 logbooks from the 1940’s to 1970’s for Vincent‘s here that previous owners have sent to us years after selling a bike, so if the bikes ever turned up I could reunite the historical paperwork with the bike. So if owner don’t let us know what they have they could be missing out on interesting historical info.

Simon

I didn’t realize you tracked the covers. With your assistance, I have reunited cases, a RFM, and an UFM. The fellow that got my UFM was able to send his UFM on to the owner with the matching bike. I didn’t think the mating numbers would have any value to the criminal element without having the frame or engine number….and my parents always thought I had a criminal mind. I have a couple of timing covers and UFM that need a good home…. and I could use a donation towards that expensive project sitting in the shop.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
I didn’t realize you tracked the covers. With your assistance, I have reunited cases, a RFM, and an UFM. The fellow that got my UFM was able to send his UFM on to the owner with the matching bike. I didn’t think the mating numbers would have any value to the criminal element without having the frame or engine number….and my parents always thought I had a criminal mind. I have a couple of timing covers and UFM that need a good home…. and I could use a donation towards that expensive project sitting in the shop.
Mr Cyborg, An early timing cover left over.?
Got engine -217

Cyborg

VOC Member
Not early…. needs a little repair from when the front cam spindle was trying to escape.
628B7573-B851-4A6F-BEB5-29FFA042C8C6.jpeg
AE72CEFE-008C-42C8-828A-666341FFC62D.jpeg