ET: Engine (Twin) oil

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
OK guys I am not too old not to try something new. my 2020 Comet is intended to take me into the next decade and I doubt that R supplies will get any more numerous. Back in the days of the MCC High Speed Trials at Silverstone when I rode the racer to the meetings there was a garage in Buckinham that kept R on the shelf, alas no more. So I will try some 'oil water' 5W20 especially as on my rebuilt engine the big end has been well run in on a seasons racing (I have flushed everything out with petrol) so here we go onto mineral:rolleyes:! (NB my KSS road bike is still on R I have a spare can where the battery went) I have to use R somewhere because if I don't eventually my lathe will suffer as I use old R as my cutting oil :eek:)

Colin

VOC Member
Many years ago a dealer who gave me a little sponsorship for trials was clearing out and came across a tin of "R", which he gave to me. Until the tin ran out I used to put a drop or two in my Egli Comet fuel. I don't think it went any better but OHHH how it SMELT:)
PS I still have the tin, never throw anything away you may need it later!

A_HRD

VOC Member
This all reminds me of one of the Phil Irving stories where he was once asked: "Should I use 'XXXX Oil' in my Vincent?". Phil looked in to the distance for a while and furrowed his brow. He then focussed back on the questioner, rubbed his chin for a while and then spoke: "Yes, use oil in your Vincent".

Says it all really; pay your money and make your choice....

Peter B

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I use Motul 20-60, shock horror, it works for me, but since my last major engine rebuild many years ago I always follow the long lay off procedure before attempting to start the engine, just in case anything inside has dried off, bit of a faff, but only really takes a few minutes, and I normally have to drain the sump anyway after anything longer than a month.

Attachments

• 300V_20Le_20Mans_2020W-60_20_28GB_29.pdf
    23 KB · Views: 27

A_HRD

VOC Member
Peter,
You are very wise to undertake the Long Layoff Procedure :). That will pay-off more than anything else.
I'm sure your choice of oil is an excellent one - the spec certainly reads well. But jeez, at £15 a litre (ebay) that's 50% more expensive than Castrol R!! And no orgasmic aroma! :eek:
Peter B

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Peter,
As I have got older I now regard owning and riding a Vincent as one of life's luxuries, of course that was not always the case, but we are where we are, so in much the same way as once in a while we go to a decent restaurant and pay what is quite frankly an absolutely stupid amount of money for a small amount of food and a glass of decent claret, and apart from the initial shock of looking at the bill, not thinking twice about it, the cost of the oil is also totally insignificant. I buy from Opie Oils UK and every now and then they have an offer on that and other oils, I am also very lucky to still be able to purchase 4* leaded petrol perfectly legally from Platts Garage in Marlow, one of the very few outlets left, but it is expensive, and worth every penny, £1.60 Litre. I wonder if they could make Motul oil smell like Castrol R, but that would be asking to much I think.

vibrac

VOC Member
If you want a good aroma you should smell my lathe when its cutting a good steel:cool: and this year it looks like Esso is coming up with good petrol:).(unless you live on Bananamans home turf)
Fortunately since I gave up smoking 30 years ago , my only real tipple is ouzo on holiday ( when you spent your youth in ton up caffs and coffee bars pubs never appealed) and my idea of the perfect meal is a good burger and chips(which is why I don't always come to the annual dinner:eek:) so effectively it seems all my only real Vices are in the workshop

vibrac

VOC Member
Re: Esso, will there be an ethanol content?
Acording to their web site (hidden away but actually in print) their Esso premium petrol has no ethanol unless its a station in the west country so for once we are not getting info from a blog post , conjecture or "a tanker driver told me,,,,,"

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
How strange, I thought the ethanol content was some "GREEN" government legislation that could not be avoided, and was to be ramped up over subsequent years, just to compound our problems with the vile stuff.