Misc: Oil Oil Seals on inside of Comet-C Timing Side Cover

Joe

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi,
what is the spare part number of the two oil seals pressed into the inside of Comet-C Timing Cover?
(sorry can`t find them on drawing M064 of the Spare Parts List)

Do I have to source them from VOC Spare Parts Company or are they standard parts elsewhere?

Cheers Joe

Timing-Chest_Two-Seals.jpg

Pushrod Twin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I make mine from a neoprene sheet by wad punching them. The one that feeds oil to the cylinder, I leave as a solid disc to stop the oil flow. :)

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Some care has to be taken to make sure that the oil goes through the liner below the travel of the oil ring.

Pushrod Twin

VOC Member
Some care has to be taken to make sure that the oil goes through the liner below the travel of the oil ring.
Yes, I was asked advice on a recently restored Comet which smoked profusely. I suggested that smoking would kill, it and that the cure could be to block the oil feed to the cylinder. It appears that it was one of those with the oil hole above the bottom ring. Blocking the oil feed in the timing chest allowed the Comet to be rehabilitated and has now returned to good health.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Most all of the early liners/barrels have the oil holes too high, only the later liners with the machined slot seem to feed oil bellow the oil ring........The prewar engines I've done suffer the same issue.......had to block the original holes off and re drill them lower down the liner. I'm guessing this was a major contributor to oil usage in these engines verses the restrictor wires in the return feedbolts.......that may have seemed to be a cure on an engine with badly worn guides but not constant oil fed into the rings........this with the oil pumping action of the flywheels constantly churning the oil and throwing excess amounts up the bores.......the rings couldn't hope to overcome that.

erik

VOC Member
This opens another barrel! Is it better to have the liner not clamped in the crankcase mouth? My answer is: Yes it is better to have the liner not clamped and the oil hole blocked. Regards Erik

Last edited by a moderator: