ET: Engine (Twin) Oil Colour

nigsey

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I recently did away with the timed breather and installed an elephant trunk to my C Twin. I’ve fitted it to the magneto drive cover ET136/1 and it’s the type that has a ball inside that acts as a valve. I’ve routed the hose upwards and out toward the rear of the bike and have blanked off the timed breather using a drain plug. The problem I had with the timed breather was oil being sprayed over the rear end when riding and some emulsified oil on the floor when the bike was standing. I had hoped that the elephant trunk would resolve both these issues. Sure enough there’s no longer a problem with oil over the rear end but I’m concerned that the emulsified oil that once dropped onto the floor is now running back into the engine and is circulating in the system, I read that emulsified oil contains some water hence it’s milky appearance. I’ve only done around 150 miles on short runs since installing the new breather but I now appear to have a light brown oil coming out of the oil tank return pipe which I have not experienced before. I’ve been using Castrol Classic 20/50 for the two years that I’ve owned the bike and last changed the oil and filter around 400 miles ago. My question is: am I likely to damage the engine if I carry on running it like this? Any advice is appreciated. Nigel.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Just keep using it not doing less than twenty miles per run. Longer the better.When an apprentice 250 miles a week just to the dockyard 500 plus at weekends to London and back and every Vincent rally that was going on they aren't Sunday morning pub bikes. I fitted an elephant trunk of the Mac Read style when they first came out then fitted one on my "A" twin on the side of the timing cover and it's done Route 66 twice around Tasmania and NZ, that was 2016 and 2018 Scandinavia 2009. 2015 wife joined me and did Italian International great fun. Breather goes to the back of the bike with a valve in the top of the aluminium box so the bikes was very oil tight my brothers used about three pints a day until he fitted extra pluming.

P1030256.JPG

nigsey

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Just keep using it not doing less than twenty miles per run. Longer the better.When an apprentice 250 miles a week just to the dockyard 500 plus at weekends to London and back and every Vincent rally that was going on they aren't Sunday morning pub bikes. I fitted an elephant trunk of the Mac Read style when they first came out then fitted one on my "A" twin on the side of the timing cover and it's done Route 66 twice around Tasmania and NZ, that was 2016 and 2018 Scandinavia 2009. 2015 wife joined me and did Italian International great fun. Breather goes to the back of the bike with a valve in the top of the aluminium box so the bikes was very oil tight my brothers used about three pints a day until he fitted extra pluming.

View attachment 55096
Very helpful thanks. I just need to tell the wife that all my rides from now on need to be long ones for the health of the Vin. Wish me luck!