ET: Engine (Twin) O-Ring, oil filter cap?

Normski

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Should there be an o-ring on the oil filter cap? Mine has one fitted but I can't find it in the parts list nor the club spares website. Longer story is I've borrowed a friend's cap whilst mine is de- chromed (the chrome is scruffy and there's some chisel marks in the cap to polish out) I transferred the o ring fitted to mine and had a good 120 mile ride yesterday with no problems, rode about 50 miles today and it's leaking quite a bit. I'd prefer not to use sealer here.

shortun

VOC Member
The cap has a cork gasket to seal the cap not a o ring .Ceandess of wolverhampton still make the cap .
Part number 02578005cab 25 pounds includeing postage.
This will probably be cheaper than rechromeing yor old one ?

shortun

VOC Member
There are details on the search ,top right section of the forum with details of how to disassemble the cap and its components.

Attachments

• 1.4-444-26.pdf
    29.7 KB · Views: 25

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Should there be an o-ring on the oil filter cap? Mine has one fitted but I can't find it in the parts list nor the club spares website. Longer story is I've borrowed a friend's cap whilst mine is de- chromed (the chrome is scruffy and there's some chisel marks in the cap to polish out) I transferred the o ring fitted to mine and had a good 120 mile ride yesterday with no problems, rode about 50 miles today and it's leaking quite a bit. I'd prefer not to use sealer here.
Just to be clear. Are we talking about the cap that is on the filler neck of the oil tank/upper frame member that is normally chrome plated OR are we talking about the screw 'cap' that holds the oil filter in place, which is NOT normally plated? Two very different items.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
If there are chisel marks, it would be the oil filter chamber cap. This is usually sealed by the 45 degree taper, but a smear of non-setting gasket goo on the last couple of outer threads sometimes helps.

Normski

Non-VOC Member
Just to be clear. Are we talking about the cap that is on the filler neck of the oil tank/upper frame member that is normally chrome plated OR are we talking about the screw 'cap' that holds the oil filter in place, which is NOT normally plated? Two very different items.
It is the oil filter cap not the filler cap, once chrome is removed I'd like to keep it brass.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Tiny smear of sealant on the taper........I am very hesitant to use thread tape on any oil fitting on an engine with tiny oil passages like a Vincent.
I have never used PTFE tape, don't intend to either, but I doubt that it would cause any problems, you would only use it very near the hexagon end of the cap, made 2-3 threads and the taper, making sure you follow the rotation direction of the thread, it would hard to see how it could ingress the filter housing and then the engine.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
if it is to take away a permanet solution, grind with some very fine paste and the seat will work again.
works for me,
Than again i had the whole thingie apart......

sort of needless to say (altough not for all here ): CLEAN Clean clean