E: Engine Noisy Rocker Bearing

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The pin should be a very tight fit into the rocker and loose in the alloy bush. At one stage I use to support the alloy bush with a block of hardwood with a circular cut out to suit the bush and a hole drilled to clear the pin. But this does not work very well.......You actually need to support the rocker not the bush.........So I simply sit the bush loosely in the jaws of my vice so the ends of the rocker are supported by the vice jaws and knock the pin out using an old cam follower spindle whereby the thread of the spindle goes down the hole in the rocker pin. When you assemble same it is a good idea to put a slight chamfer on one end of the pin, oil the parts and tap the new pin into the rocker chamfered end first. This will avoid the pin broaching it's way in, you can push it in stages and check nothing is tight and the pin needs to sit just bellow the outer edge of the bush or else it will foul as it enters the tunnel. By holding the pin into the rocker before final assembly you can check that the rocker has enough up/down travel if the ET 100/1 locking bolt mod has been carried out and enough metal removed from the top of each rocker, this saves a lot of wasted time pressing the pin in and out, remembering each time you press it in you are loosing the interference a little. If the rockers have too much side play they will generally be noisy, you can shim if necessary but be mindful the forked end of the rocker verses the valve stem alignment. A new bush and pin usually fixes most issues, at worst replace the rocker.

Last edited by a moderator:

bmetcalf

VOC Member
By holding the pin into the rocker before final assembly you can check that the rocker has enough up/down travel if the ET 100/1 locking bolt mod has been carried out and enough metal removed from the top of each rocker.

Thanks for the tip on using an old spindle.

I'm not sure what is meant by "holding the pin into the rocker".

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
to press fit pin
and machine rocker
2017-07-30 13.34.58.jpg
tunnel
2017-08-18 18.02.46.jpg

vibrac

VOC Member
Are you trying to form a splinter group Bill?
I have only used wood in one place (I don't count ply) and that was 2 pieces of 1/2" long broom handle:eek: fortunately nowadays those cleverer than me have found a better way ;) but it was top quality advice for racing a twin at one time

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Are you trying to form a splinter group Bill?
I have only used wood in one place (I don't count ply) and that was 2 pieces of 1/2" long broom handle:eek: fortunately nowadays those cleverer than me have found a better way ;) but it was top quality advice for racing a twin at one time
I was pleased with the Twin Clutch tool I made of wood, Just wish I had not sold my metal lathe. Cheers Bill.