PT: Exhaust Mute

Michael Vane-Hunt

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Has any one used one of these mutes on a noisy Comet?
20211231_153359.jpg
20211231_153411.jpg

vibrac

VOC Member
If you want to know about silencers and what works try racing a Vincent twin at Mallory park in 2020! This is quite an interesting article https://lansdowneclassic.co.uk/articles/noise-tests/ it may help. The one thing I found (and it cost a lot of time and effort to find out): there is no substitute for size, the bigger the silencer the quieter it is. The trick is fitting it in the available space. on our racer we have two silencers one each side its not the most pretty arrangement but it works, and dont forget there is a noise camera coming your way soon and with all the masses running round in silent milk floats soon, how do you think a spiral baffle will sound?

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Where I live in Australia, currently as long as your bike is fitted with any sort of silencer and the noise level complies with the regulations in effect at the time the bike was manufactured you are OK out on public roads. As we all know there were NO noise level regulations back in the 1950's.

I suspect the noise police will eventually put a stop to this ideal situation

Russell Kemp

VOC Member
The year is 2007 and my new to me Comet had a Toga straight through silencer, I lived on a housing estate and going to work in the morning I would set car alarms off, put a smile on my face :cool: I now have a 650 Suzuki V-Strom with a race can so think big bore Comet but a lot quieter.

Last edited:

Albervin

VOC Member
A spiral, absorption baffle on a Comet can be unpleasantly noisy. HOWEVER on the over-run down a hill it can give a female pillion a bit of a thrill. This is according to my wife.

vibrac

VOC Member
Yes a quieter silencer that does not look too out of place will soon be a necessary adjunct to continued riding (NB. this one only squeezes in at 105Db but its a start)

1641114646173.png

Considering the volume needed this is the only place that a circular one will fit, clearly impractical on a road machine perhaps a triangular one in the original place might squeeze in and not look too out of place certainly it might stem the rise of the antis used to the silence of the coming hordes of milk floats

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
My Comet seems to like a fairly unrestricted silencer, don’t all Comets, problem being an unrestricted exhaust = noise, quite frankly I care very little that other folks don’t like it, it is music to my ears. The problem I do have is with horses, they definitely do not like my Comet, sometimes if I detect a horse getting really skittish when I am approaching very slowly, with the engine on tickover, I simply cut the engine completely until horse and rider has passed.

Last edited:

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
The year is 2007 and my new to me Comet had a Toga straight through silencer, I lived on a housing estate and going to work in the morning I would set car alarms off, put a smile on my face :cool: I now have a 650 Suzuki V-Strom with a race can so think big bore Comet but a lot quieter.

In the early 90's I had just finished building a '66 Triumph Trophy with a belt primary and a Sonny Routte Big Bore kit (750), I fitted a brand new Toga exhaust system. The silencers that came with the supposedly stock system were straight through glass packs. The parking structure at work had a barrier partially across the entrance to prevent those who didn't pay a monthly fee from using it. The entrance to the building from the sixth level of the structure put you directly outside the front door of the office I worked in at the time. So in the morning I would arrive at the barrier at little over a walking pace, stay to the right and go right past the barrier. I would stay in second gear gassing it from corner to corner. Every car that had an alarm would go off. As I've always had a couple of bikes I always tried to change up what I rode. It kept them guessing.
Steven