FF: Forks Modified Steering Stem

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Following the question above I have posted something on the thread concerning short top links, sidecars etc. Here I continue discussing the use of the modified steering heads on solos. First let me say how useful it is to have the feedback. Without that it is difficult to know when something should be modified. For example hrdaustria came straight back with his comments about the strength of the springs. He (Michi) has fitted the Greg Brillus mod as well as the rest of the kit (although Michi has used needle roller bearings rather than ball races. He immediately notified me of the problem with the hydraulic steering damper and the fact that there was not enough movement with the 45 lbs/inch springs for someone with his weight. Michi weighs 77 kg, about 12 stones or 169 lbs. Chris Launders, who did nearly all the test riding, weighs about 21 stones, 294 lbs/ 143 kgs. Chris originally found that 36 lbs/inch springs were correct when the Oilite bushes were being used but once bearings were introduced we had to stiffen both the springs and the damper settings. I will be sending Michi a pair of 36 lbs/inch springs next week so that he can see whether these will work with his weight or not.
I have had 30, 33, 36 and 45 lb/inch springs made and the prices of all the sets are the same but I do need the feedback in order to ensure that the best compromise is there to serve the largest number of people. I did design a system to make the lower spring box adjustable without it changing the appearance too much but so far no one has expressed any interest in this but that is sitting there in the instructions if anyone with the right engineering skill wishes to try it out.
Remember chaps, feedback, positive or negative, will help us all
Also yesterday, at the open day, the fact that several people are buying these kits but not fitting them was discussed. Greg has had and either sold or fitted nearly 30 kits and that means that many/most Australian riders are using this mod. It was suggested to me that the reason for some of the slowness over here was that people do not feel competent enough to carry out this work them selves and there is no one else over here commercially doing the fitting work. I am not prepared to start and do that work but there are people over here who earn a living by making or fitting parts to Vincents. This job is not difficult and if you have bought the kit with a modified lower link with the bearings fitted then all the tedious work of fitting the shims and fitting the lower link correctly to the steering head is already done for you. If you are not fitting one of the hydraulic steering dampers then you should be able to do all the work in a morning or at least a leisurely day or weekend. If you are fitting the steering damper then the only extra thing is to tap a 3/8"BSF thread into an existing hole and check the clearances between the movable part of the damper link and the cylinder head. If you are not confident enough to do it yourself then invite some chums over for a steering head fitting party and do the lifting and adjusting between several of you. Drinks and sandwiches all round and enjoy it. If by chance you have one of the bikes which seems to require fitting a smaller radius front mudguard (three out of about 120 so far) then you are in for more work but I cannot tell you how to discover beforehand whether you will be one of that select bunch.
If I, a small 79 years old, small astronomer can do it then so can you.

greg brillus

VOC Member
The thing to be quite mindful of here too is that carrying out this kind of fairly substantial steering re-work is has the same potential dangers that you would per carrying out work on your brakes. If you get it all wrong and just hope you think you know what you are doing, you may be unlucky enough to harm or even kill yourself or others on the road. I know enough to say that the average rider is very much not a mechanic, and most are far from it. This is not like bolting on a new pair of carb's, or doing an oil change. Suspension and brakes are an area that takes proper skills to install and set up correctly. I'm not trying to scare people on here, just reminding members to be mindful of their abilities..........a lot of Vincent bikes have terrible brakes for example..........The reason for that is they don't actually understand how to set them up in the first place.............It is for this reason that not all owners should feel like they can automatically carry out such work just because they own the machine.............Just be mindful of what you are doing.

timetraveller

VOC Member
OK Chaps. I have now finished preparing another batch of ten of the new hydraulic dampers. I have just posted the first one off and it would make life easier if those of you who have expressed interest could contact me again, either by PM or at enw07@btinternet.com I have made some slight modifications to these kits in the light of feedback on the first ones sent out. Nothing drastic; an 'o' ring between the rose joint and a boss on the bolt which holds the assembly into the hole in the steering head. made new spacers 5.5 mm thick rather than 10 mm and removed a small amount of material at the outer end of the larger ali plate which takes the moving end of the damper rod. This ensures that nothing hits the engine etc and yet the axis of the damper is still at right angles to the main fore and aft axis of the bike. When this batch have gone I have enough ali parts to do another 12 kits and then it will mean getting new kits made. I have modified the fitting instruction to take into account items which were in there but missed by some of those who have already fitted these. You will now find some bold red text to draw attention to some of the setting up instructions. A PDF of these instructions can be sent to anyone who wishes to learn more.
Please remember it is only through feedback, either private or on here, that I can improve these.

vibrac

VOC Member
Still waiting for feedback on spring strengths and the amount of movement people of different weights are getting.
Comet 12 stone
I am about to reduce the 30lb springs as I still do not have the requisite horizontal or almost horizontal top link when seated and the movement is not as visable as I hoped. ( I am also now on my old soft AVO racing front damper to try and see movment. If it all works I will get AVO to re-valve the AVO that came with it. ( I ask all users of the MSS to keep in contact with timetraveller with their experience)

timetraveller

VOC Member
It's the bottom link which should be more or less horizontal. If it is down at the front by 5 mm or so not a problem but more than that and the rearward movement of the wheel on moving upwards can be compromised. This is with the rider seated and the bike normally loaded.
Read what the Tilleys said in their bit about the French Rally about movement, comfort etc.

vibrac

VOC Member
Here Tis....
Bike propped on Handlebar almost vertical, no rider!

1532101328433.jpeg