ET: Engine (Twin) Modified ET100?

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I think you'll find those are the washers that go bellow the banjo oil pipes, not the ones that replace the copper ones........I've seen but not used them.......They look a little thin to me, the issue there is the banjo can bottom on the head of the feed bolt before the top 1/4 bolt is tightened........This sometimes happens when the top of the banjo is deformed downward from the top securing bolt being over tightened.

vibrac

VOC Member
I think the ET100 'mod' has past its 50 year point and can now I think be regarded as the standard.
In fact looking at Vincent Spares ET100/1 (the VS designation which includes the nut ) along with ET26/1 (if buying new) are the only items on offer.
Its been many a summer since I saw a metering wire they are from the days of when Vincents were actually ridden every day and oil changes were infrequent and oil was poor.
I always use cap screws for the oil joint and anneal the copper washer its not unusual to find a concave face on the top of an oil union a fancy screw or gasket wont cure that.

Alyson

VOC Member
Another tip (you seem to have plenty now!) is to use a 1/4” BSF screw with a larger head (5/16 size) in place of the 188 screw. They are used on Amal carburettors. I bought mine from Middleton’s (third line down): https://www.stainlessmiddleton.co.uk/32911-bsf-bolts-setscrews this spreads the load out a bit on the banjo.
forgot to mention that. On my 188 screws the head was undercut to remove the "built in washer" so in effect, more seating surface. Easier to get the Amal screws, unless you have a lathe at your disposal. Alyson

Dave Dixon

Forum User
VOC Member
Another tip (you seem to have plenty now!) is to use a 1/4” BSF screw with a larger head (5/16 size) in place of the 188 screw. They are used on Amal carburettors. I bought mine from Middleton’s (third line down): https://www.stainlessmiddleton.co.uk/32911-bsf-bolts-setscrews this spreads the load out a bit on the banjo.
Hi & thanks! This is the first time I have used the forum and am impressed so much by the amount and quality of the responses. I have had three twins over 60 years (first was a Lightning in '63 would you believe?) so have been around bikes for a while. But this old dog has now learned a few new tricks! My thanks to all. D.

Dave Dixon

Forum User
VOC Member
A genuine factory Lightning?
I know! But we were in different times back then! I got it from my great friend Bill (Walter) Salmon for £150. He had a Series A Rapide too. I got into a bit of bother with "the law" & sold the Lightning in a panic to Conways before I even finished paying for it - for £450! Always felt sick regret at letting my friend down. I should have offered it back to him. Teenagers eh? . . . Registration was MGY 265. No trace on the DVLA site though.

Dave Dixon

Forum User
VOC Member
Having ordered the ET100 I was happily working on two of my sons bikes (Bonnie & Velo) but suffering from a nagging thought. Home later and rummaging in a drawer. Sure enough, I had a complete modified rocker assembly from my previous Twin. Which had belonged to Norman Friston before I bought it. BCH 55. Memory clearly isn't what it was!

Attachments

• 20230710_154949.jpg
    20230710_154949.jpg
    392.7 KB · Views: 28