Mechanic in East Midlands

Hippo

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I've now got my Rapide registered in the UK but am now having a bit of difficulty getting it set up properly
It was quite difficult to start when I got it but once started it ran fine. Since the previous owner told me that the magneto was tired I got and fitted a new electronic magneto … and now it won’t start at all (it does have a good spark), though it isn’t helped by some past butchery to the kickstart mech which means you only get half a swing at it.
It did take me quite a while to get round to the new mag so I am going the see if the petrol has gone off before delving much deeper … but I was wondering if anyone knows a decent old bike mechanic in the Derby area who I could get to set it up properly for me.
I must admit , being new to Vincents that I find it a little daunting and complicated mechanically compared to my Triumphs and since I really do get allowed so little time to play would rather spend it riding the bike.

Thanks

stumpy lord

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I've now got my Rapide registered in the UK but am now having a bit of difficulty getting it set up properly
It was quite difficult to start when I got it but once started it ran fine. Since the previous owner told me that the magneto was tired I got and fitted a new electronic magneto … and now it won’t start at all (it does have a good spark), though it isn’t helped by some past butchery to the kickstart mech which means you only get half a swing at it.
It did take me quite a while to get round to the new mag so I am going the see if the petrol has gone off before delving much deeper … but I was wondering if anyone knows a decent old bike mechanic in the Derby area who I could get to set it up properly for me.
I must admit , being new to Vincents that I find it a little daunting and complicated mechanically compared to my Triumphs and since I really do get allowed so little time to play would rather spend it riding the bike.

Thanks
HI,
I can not help you with the name of competent mechanics in the Derby area. If you have no luck , I would recommend you contact Len Mathews of Mathew motor cycles. Len has been around vincents for many years and knows what he is doing. O.K. it is few miles from Derby to Clacton on sea, but at the end of the day the fact that you will end up with a good machine, will be well worth the expense of getting the bike down to Lens place .
stumpy lord

Howard

VOC Member
Have you tried visiting the East Midland Section clubnight (see MPH for venue and time) - they seem to be a knowledgeable bunch - mind you, appearances can be deceptive. :D

H

nkt267

VOC Member
I your mag timed correctly on the right cylinder..I had a mag returned that had the contact breaker housing 180 deg out. turning the housing half a turn fixed it..John

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
if you are getting a spark and the plugs are getting wet, it is worth checking that you are timed to the correct cylinder.
The rear cylinder fires first and then 410 degrees later the front cylinder, you can mount a timing disc directly onto the crank, by removing the oil feed quill on the timing case and gently tapping in a suitable rod, such as a knitting needle. ( I have a piece of 8mm stst rod threaded on end to take the disc and tapered the other for the crank.
I owned mainly Triumphs before getting into Vins about 8 years ago, once you get past the fear of the unknown, they are easy enough to work on and no head gasket to worry about.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
You have fitted a new electronic magneto??

When I first did that I could not get the bike to start either. There are a few trick/traps to be aware about.

In my case I had run the kill wire alongside the HT lead to the spark plug in order to keep things neat and tidy. WRONG! It is essential to keep ALL low voltage wires as far away from the HT leads as possible. In my case I went so far as to fit earthed braided copper sheath over the outside of ALL low voltage cables associated with the ignition system. BTW I then applied black heat shrink over the braid to make it look nice.

You MUST set up your timing on the compression stroke - easy to check just remove the valve adjustor caps and the spark plugs - when the piston is at/near the top of its stroke and both inlet and exhaust valves are closed - that is the compression stroke.

Last edited by a moderator: