Mahindra's New Goldstar 650

Magnetoman

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I tried upping the gearing but that killed the little bit of power it has.
Hmm, the Super Rocket engine should be good for 40 hp, in the same measuring system that gave my Special Competition Gold Star 41.7 on the BSA dyno with a 1½ GP. I swapped the GP for a 36mm Concentric which should drop that to just under 40. Although the A10 engine is a bit heavier than that of a Gold Star, the difference in power/weight with a rider wouldn't be much different. I have no complaints about the performance of my Gold Stars so I wonder if there's an issue with your engine. Either that, or you have higher expectations for the performance than I do.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
The West Coast engine was rated at 46 hp by Hap Alzina although in other places it is rated at 43hp.
They made a lot of small changes most every year. Most of it was marketing, but they should have gained a wee bit of power as they went along.
The Road Rocket was rated at 40 bhp.
The Super Rocket came out with a bit more compression and carb. It was rated 43.
In 1961 the 357 "full race Spitfire cam" was used. That bumped power a bit more. The carb size also went up and the valves were a slightly larger ( Big Valve Super Rocket!)
The east coast and UK bikes were 8.3 to one but Hap Alzina asked for more compression and more chrome for the big California market. He got both, 9 to 1 and chrome all over the place. Even the sidestand is chromed.
That's where the 46 hp rating came from
I don't believe it though.
Irving referred to some of his competitors BHP ratings as " Brochure Horsepower"
The HHC A10s seem to fit that description.
I still like the bike, just wouldn't want to ride it very far or fast.
My frame lugs appear to be of the forged variety up and down? They appear to be identical all around.
A good candidate for fakers?:)
Dave Comeau has a 63 SR and it is the same. The factory Dyno sheet attached is for a 56 Road Rocket.
Screenshot_20230320_174806_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230320_175337_Chrome.jpg

Glen

Attachments

• 20230320_171610.jpg
    20230320_171610.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

kerry

VOC Member
Mine has everything from day one, Frame, Engine, Registration, every receipt, every MOT cert, every tax disc, It does have the superb Eddy Dow front brake and a Nova five speed gearbox, as I said it does not need an electric start, just an easy prod, I wish the new 650 Goldie well but still think it is a poor comparison to compare to a 50's 500 Single, a good RGS would compare better in my opinion
Kerry.

kerry

VOC Member
I did ride the Shadow Sunday,very nice, I am lucky to have found a nice one and appreciate it, but, Peter, last week I bought a bike that gives more smiles than both, I wonder if you can guess what it is, 1953 model that was available for that year only in Wedgwood blue to celebrate the 'Coronation' , it like a Vincent is virtually devoid of vibration.
So what is it ?
Kerry.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Ariel KHA 500cc twin.
I am not to surprised it has a smooth engine, it is the correct displacement for a parallel twin, the problems came with 650s, and then with a vengeance with the 750s and 850s.

kerry

VOC Member
No not that, thanks for trying, I had a KHA years ago and it was a very nice bike, it did vibrate but only slight.
I will post a photo soon anyway, I have to say I was very surprised when riding it on Sunday and another clue that must pin point it 100% is that I hardly had to change gear ! Maybe someone else will guess before you

kerry

VOC Member
No, not a push bike, picture now attached, I was very very surprised with it, NOT a big heavy thing, the steering is extremely light, feels much lighter than a Vincent, this all ali version is supposed to be around 425lb, but with it's low centre of gravity seems even lighter, not a Vincent of course but gives plenty of smiles, even the local feathered friends came to admire it !
Kerry.

Attachments

• P1060275.JPG
    P1060275.JPG
    596.5 KB · Views: 32

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Kerry , To get nearer to a Vincent ?,
They did one of those in an Egli Frame !, Healy Brothers ?, 1970 s ?,
One turned up at a 1/4 mile Sprint, Looking very Fast !,
I was worried, He said he was going to thrash me.
Nice looking bike,