E: Engine Lucas Rita timing

danno

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi
My Rapide C backfires quite badly when engine braking and thought maybe checking the timing might help.
Any ideas how to do this on the Lucas Rita?
The RH side carb also drips after a run. Not sure if this is related.
Any help appreciated.

danno

Non-VOC Member
Backfire on the over run is often not the timing but a leak in the exhaust system. I would check the cylinder head to exhaust pipe joint first.
Thanks.
Will check that. I recently had the exhaust pipes off for some work.

erik

VOC Member
I found out that if the pilot jet is to rich ,which means to less air then it could backfire ,too.Erik

robmfj

Forum User
VOC Member
I would agree on the exhaust leak diagnosis and start there but in answer to your initial question see attached. Sorry about the grubby state but still legible. 4.5mm is correct and the correction in instructions was by Mistral not me.

Attachments

• Electronic ign.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 25

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Another diagram:

rita-jpeg-jpg.51163

danno

Non-VOC Member
Thanks for the instructions. Makes it much clearer now.
TBH I didn’t quite understand how it worked but now I see the magneto replacement unit and reluctor.
Wasn’t sure what that was.

vibrac

VOC Member
Paul Goff has a Rita repair contact to refurbish the system but basically as electronic ignition systems go its a bit old hat
I just junked my pre unit Triumph one for a tri-spark and the difference is obvious

danno

Non-VOC Member
Paul Goff has a Rita repair contact to refurbish the system but basically as electronic ignition systems go its a bit old hat
I just junked my pre unit Triumph one for a tri-spark and the difference is obvious
Yes. It’s getting on for thirty years old now.
It works and starts well though. Might consider a newer system if not too expensive.