E: Engine Lubrication: A Message from 1972

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I read an interesting item in MPH281 June 1972 (page 14) by Curt Brayer he was discussing cam and follower wear and his suggestion was to say the least radical but when I thought about it I think there is some mileage in it.
He suggest amongst other things that there is not sufficient flow of oil to the cams (Bananaman agrees and adds a oil pump from a Honda 50) however Curt suggests that the way is to
1. dump the filter in the crankcase and employ a remote filter
2. remove the jet in the top of the oil gallery just leaving the plug
3. stopping cylinder feeds
he suggests that sceptics remove the plug in the back of the timing cover oil gallery and see how long it takes for oil to flow from the hole
I have only paraphrased the article its worth reading

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I read an interesting item in MPH281 June 1972 (page 14) by Curt Brayer he was discussing cam and follower wear and his suggestion was to say the least radical but when I thought about it I think there is some mileage in it.
He suggest amongst other things that there is not sufficient flow of oil to the cams (Bananaman agrees and adds a oil pump from a Honda 50) however Curt suggests that the way is to
1. dump the filter in the crankcase and employ a remote filter
2. remove the jet in the top of the oil gallery just leaving the plug
3. stopping cylinder feeds
he suggests that sceptics remove the plug in the back of the timing cover oil gallery and see how long it takes for oil to flow from the hole
I have only paraphrased the article its worth reading
It is likely that many people including myself will not have access to MPH 281, June 1972 (page 14).:(

vibrac

VOC Member
Another reason for having a full archive on line;)
However I think the suggested principles of his argument are clear
In effect he is saying the integral filter (remember back then it was felt) and the oil feed jet are very restrictive removing them would improve cam lubrication and not effect big end supply
(Incidentally One Track the following month was not impressed with the suggested modification)

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Another reason for having a full archive on line;)
However I think the suggested principles of his argument are clear
In effect he is saying the integral filter (remember back then it was felt) and the oil feed jet are very restrictive removing them would improve cam lubrication and not effect big end supply
(Incidentally One Track the following month was not impressed with the suggested modification.)
I would probably agree with George's comment and would want a filter in the oil system, perhaps a less restrictive (modern paper) one that continued to give adequate flow.

vibrac

VOC Member
The article mentions using a remote filter.
so do I in the introduction Vis: 1. dump the filter in the crankcase and employ a remote filter
However I also intimated that at the time (1972) the only filter was felt. So I think the modern paper one would negate that complication and current knowledge also tends to discard the use of cylinder feeds accordingly that to my mind leaves the question does the 170 metering jet starve the cams?

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Standard aircraft practice is to filter the oil before it gets back to the tank.
So put it in the return line before it runs across the head, as per my Comet and Rapide.

On the Comet I used the Hi-de-hi filter which uses the element from a T150, which appears to have vanished
On the Rapide I have the unit from http://www.dcclassicmotorcycles.co.uk/parts/oil_filtration/oil_filtration.htm which uses a RE paper filter

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
The type of oil chosen has a large effect on cam and follower wear. This is especially important now as most oils have reduced zinc in order to stop damage to catalytic converters.
The oil testing done by Jim Comstock was very enlightening.
Back in 1972 catalytic converters did not exist, most oils had enough zinc, however even then some oils were better than others.

Glen