E: Engine Loose Jet Block In 289 & More Problems With My Twin

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I don't understand the response from B-TH, if one cylinder is firing ok the charging side must be good, then the problem surely is one of the CDI units, which should be an easy fix.
They did one for me a few yeas ago and that one was on the bike before 2008, so not a recent one.

erik

VOC Member
There are many bikes around with Mikuni carbs and they cost only some € . Or like me I changed to Concentric MK1 which are below 200€ per carb. And the fuel consumption is much better . Together with the vokes air filters it is a period looking to my mind.Erik

Attachments

• IMG_8579[1].JPG
    IMG_8579[1].JPG
    261.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8582[1].JPG
    IMG_8582[1].JPG
    257.2 KB · Views: 14

CarlHungness

VOC Member
I don't understand the response from B-TH, if one cylinder is firing ok the charging side must be good, then the problem surely is one of the CDI units, which should be an easy fix.
They did one for me a few yeas ago and that one was on the bike before 2008, so not a recent one.
Number one you are in the UK, you are British, which makes a helluva difference.

CarlHungness

VOC Member
Number one you are in the UK, you are British, which makes a helluva difference.
The more I think about your reply the angrier I get. I don't believe the man spoke with Peter Nugent,
I think he's just passing off the problem and wants me to buy a new unit. I dare say being an
American and trying to deal with (some) British suppliers (and merchants) has never been a
desirable task. My three summers in Chipping Campden taught me a whole lot about the British
attitude toward Americans "They're rich!"...I just wrote back to B-TH and asked him to have a talk
with Peter Nugent as he said he would and 'ave another look at me B-TH, because popping for
a new one is a real stretch for me.

CarlHungness

VOC Member
Why not use your rebuilt mag?
You're probably right..the Lucas does start the bike, but I sure liked the B-TH..I could start it easier, and if I
never see another ATD it won't bother me. I should have just waited for the B-TH people to come back
from holiday rather than spending a lot on the Lucas.

CarlHungness

VOC Member
Just spoke with Ross at B-TH and he has tested my 20 year old mag. He came to the conclusion a
HT lead has a short and long story short, the mag works as well as a new one with new coils and
spark plug leads. I talked with him first of the week and told him to send me a new unit, if mine
didn't check out. He said he tested my unit for an hour and all is well. Thus, my original problem
was simply a spark plug wire, which I foolishly did not change while installing new coils. All the
aggravation I put myself and other members through was not necessary. Looking forward to
getting the unit back next week and hoping the bike will be back to normal.