E: Engine Loose Jet Block In 289 & More Problems With My Twin

CarlHungness

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I started my bike five consecutive days after getting it running. I warmed it up in the shop,
re-started easily and did the same thing the following days. I went for a ride and after about 19
miles came to the main road, accelerated up to 70 briefly, backed off and the bike wouldn't run over 45
It sounded as though it was starving for fuel. Got to a stop sign, killed it on
take off, couldn't restart, had it towed home. Both plug porcelains were white. The electrodes still looked new.
Could not restart in my shop. Checked the mag with my see through spark tester, #1 shows hot, #2 can' see
the spring in the tester light up. Bench test at extreme low rpm shows spark on 1 & 2.
I know the jet block in the front carb drops out on its own, while the front one is push fit, and the carb
body must be heated with a blow dryer to coax it loose. Could the loose jet block be sucking air?
I recall weeks back starting the bike with the Lucas, it ran for 45 seconds and died, and it was on ultra
high idle when it died.
I put the old jets back in, still could not start.
I'll install the new needles and jets tomorrow, and want to wait until my B-TH is fixed or will buy a new
one. The mag is probably 100% good, as it has started and run the bike 15-20 times, but only in the shop.
My starting procedure(s) are still a work in progress as I'm trying to release the decomp at the bottom of
the stroke, but am late sometimes so not getting a full swing. Nevetheless, I can start the machine, and after
it's warm, it fired ever so easily. That's past tense unfortunately.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Carl, not uncommon on old original carbs for the jet block to be a not so tight fit in the body anymore........It is not ideal, but so long as it is not a sloppy fit, it should still be ok........how far out are your mixture screws.......generally they should be 1 and a 1/4 turns out from seated.......but this is seldom the case especially with older carbs that leak air around the worn slide/body.......often the screw is wound in till it is almost seated.......this means the mixture is weak. If your plugs are that clean even after a short run, then it sounds too weak.......I would wind the mixture screws in at least a 1/4 turn to richen it up.......The stock number 4 slides tend to run a bit lean on modern fuels as well........cutting 20 to 30 thou off the bottom, lowers the slide and richens up the lower speed running this on part throttle where most of the running is done.......3 1/2 slides are available and work ok, although sometimes they are actually a bit rich.......this shows how sensitive the settings can be.......Good luck with it .......Cheers......Greg.

Generic Beardy

VOC Member
Could be the condenser is dying in the mag. Might give a spark when cold and on the bench. Under compression a different story...... Most carb problems are electrical after all.

CarlHungness

VOC Member
Carl, not uncommon on old original carbs for the jet block to be a not so tight fit in the body anymore........It is not ideal, but so long as it is not a sloppy fit, it should still be ok........how far out are your mixture screws.......generally they should be 1 and a 1/4 turns out from seated.......but this is seldom the case especially with older carbs that leak air around the worn slide/body.......often the screw is wound in till it is almost seated.......this means the mixture is weak. If your plugs are that clean even after a short run, then it sounds too weak.......I would wind the mixture screws in at least a 1/4 turn to richen it up.......The stock number 4 slides tend to run a bit lean on modern fuels as well........cutting 20 to 30 thou off the bottom, lowers the slide and richens up the lower speed running this on part throttle where most of the running is done.......3 1/2 slides are available and work ok, although sometimes they are actually a bit rich.......this shows how sensitive the settings can be.......Good luck with it .......Cheers......Greg.
I do have the 3.5 slides and will wait until I can put a B-TH in it. The jet block is a sloppy fit in the front carb,
can fall out on its own, so wondering if it is causing the problem.

greg brillus

VOC Member
If the jet block is sloppy, then this will definitely not help.......perhaps a replacement carb body and jet block is in order if that is the case.