ET: Engine (Twin) Large Idler Boss/Shaft Assembly

fogrider

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Very useful observations, thanks. It looks like the ET173 is pretty good then at .450", ( I'm probably .003" out ), must check the ET162's match exactly. The problem is, this makes all the lesser spindles seem too low - more checks required. At least I can be sure the ET173 height is a sound base now, and luckily it's a later steel assy. A more thorough look and better measurements this time.

Cyborg

VOC Member
You can make up a puller to raise the spindles. I prefer this method to the slide hammer. Not necessary, but nice to have I think. I would say that Clanky Bore’s comment about brittle applies to the slide hammer too. In a bin of stuff I acquired, there was a new spindle with the threaded portion snapped off. I’m guessing it came off in the slide hammering process. With the puller, you can feel when the spindle moves, not so with the slide hammer.

68A9F5E7-C29E-4FE3-B4E7-1BAC87A18891.jpeg
5D3D6C7A-5DD1-486E-8A35-09047C4566C7.jpeg

davidd

VOC Member
As Chankly points out, the ET173 often varies in height with different batches and different materials. So far these variances do not seem to have a big impact.

I also agree with him on the Simmonds nut. I run a tap through any new nut or a used cam spindle that has been removed. This will reduce the friction of the nylon portion of the nut. The threaded end of the cam spindle may snap off as a result of the added friction as that portion of the spindle can be quite brittle.

There is one other potential problem. The intake follower spindle can be too long. I once replaced an intake follower spindle with a new spindle and it could not be adjusted any lower in the case. This is because the right rear crankcase stud is located and visible near the bottom of that spindle hole and it happened to interfere with the intake spindle. I had failed to notice that the spindle had been shortened by the previous owner. So, it is worth checking the length of the intake spindles as there may be a crankcase stud obstructing further adjustment.

I ground mine on a bench grinder to an overall length of 2.52" and I had no further installation problems. It is still running well.

All the best,

David