ET: Engine (Twin) Kickstart Spring Replacement Frequency

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
You might end up replacing a knee and a spring!
I recommend having a fresh good quality spring fitted and a spare hidden on the bike.
Takes no time at all to pull the cover off, gives you a chance to adjust and check the gear change as well as changing
How does one define "no time at all" sitting at the side of the road with the kickstart hanging down and your head in your hands?;)

timetraveller

VOC Member
I remember fifty odd years ago sitting in a gutter somewhere in the middle of London traffic struggling to do this job, and failing. Hence my modification.

Speedtwin

VOC Member
As I said it is a straight forward job to pull the lot apart and check everything out inside the cover.
Don't be worried about it exhaust removal and replacement it is simple.
Have the correct tool for loosening and tightening the exhaust flanges available from the spares company, take your time as you take off the cover look out for spacers/shims etc.
When refitting the exhaust again take your time I always fit new exhaust gaskets again from spares company or any of the other parts suppliers, be methodical ensure your threading is good when lining up and tightening go easy one pipe at a time build it all loose then when all is correct tighten from the top down.
Ensure your kickstart is clearing the pipe when your done.
Rebuild of the cover is the reverse very easy job which will get you familiar with the gear change adjustment again very simple.
As I said I took an hour to pull it down remove the cover clean grease adjust and rebuild pipes back on and tighten up.
Ran the bike for a couple of short runs and retighten exhaust flanges'.
There is nothing scary in there.
Enjoy the process.
Remember to re set your clutch cable and clutch when your done before riding the beast.
Al

Speedtwin

VOC Member
I prefer to work inside my garage preventative is always better than reactive...
Then again when one does bust you can change it through the hole very easy if you have a spare some wire a bad attitude and are a qualified gynecologist.

ericg

VOC Member
I prefer to work inside my garage preventative is always better than reactive...
Then again when one does bust you can change it through the hole very easy if you have a spare some wire a bad attitude and are a qualified gynecologist.
Very easy in the garage, not so much through he hole by the side of the road.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
When you travel away from home and garage for weeks and months at a time, you had better be prepared for at least the common little failure issues that may arise, and sometimes bigger ones! On trips like this I have had to change a brake drum, swap a magneto, repair broken cables and repair flat tires. Needless to say the bike had considerable "garage preventative" before leaving home. For others I have changed K/S springs (as in more than one) lent the spare clutch pull lever under the K/S cover, inner tubes, tire pump and a myriad of other bits. I have only once had to be picked up from some 400 miles from home (Big end failure) and twice transported to a facility where I could make repairs. Broken (as in snapped in half) cam follower around 1000 miles from home and a G45 bearing retainer stripping the threads from the G2 plate about 600 miles from home. "Oh sir, I see you have your engine apart, could I possibly borrow your G2 plate for a few days."

It's always better and easier to do this at home, but if you are going travelling...............