ET: Engine (Twin) Kickstart Spring Replacement Frequency

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
There are a myriad of variables involved to make answering your question almost impossible, a bungee strap will normally get you out of trouble, unless your kickstart lever is obviously drooping and engaging the ratchet, I would leave well alone, mine has been in place for literally years, and since I had an electric starter fitted, it will hopefully stay in there for good many more years.

Speedtwin

VOC Member
I have a spare spring stuffed in my battery box with his friend the spare clutch/lifter cable because, you just never know!
With a bit of fiddling you can change the spring through the inspection hole.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Gordon, myself I wouldn't worry to much about the kickstart return spring, I would worry about the kickstart buffer and spring. To paraphrase Peter says unless the lever is drooping and engaging the ratchet not much to worry about. Where as if the buffer spring collapses awkwardly and jams up the buffer or the guide wears a bit to much and allows the buffer to jam, when you come down to a bit enthusiastically on the kickstart, the front lower corner of the cover will take an unauthorized trip across the drive. That can't be fixed with a bungee cord.

Alyson

VOC Member
My first thought: how much kicking do you do to get your bike started. Either replace the spring, or tune the engine to fire first/second kick. Just my daily humour ;)

G

Graham Smith

I've only ever replaced a kickstart spring once. The only time mine has ever broke was while I was in the paddock waiting to be let onto the track at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in 2021.

Luckily, I managed to find a discarded disposable facemask, so I salvaged the elastic and tied the kickstart up. As it was the last run up the hill of the weekend, I replaced the spring when I got home.

ericg

VOC Member
I've had this spring broken two time in the last 11 years even though my bike is an easy starter ( D distributor).
Last time a few weeks ago, I tried to replace it without removing the cover but only managed to get the broken one out.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I understand that Jacqueline Bickerstaff was able to give an impressive demonstration on how to replace a broken kickstart spring with the cover in situ, without the requirement to saw the cover in half, I have never tried this myself, and I believe it is far more difficult with a B cover as opposed to a C cover, if the B and C covers overlapped both B and C series, then I apologise in advance.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
The time to replace the K/S spring is just after it either breaks or won't hold the commencing lever in place. I have done a few on the road for others as I carry a spare, but even at home this can be done thru the inspection cover. Did an early B on the road once, although it is a bit of a fiddle for sure.