Is it a Vincent?

Firevxr

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi I discovered my dad's old motorbike the other day and I would like to find out a bit more about it. It has Vincent clearly on part of the engine and HRD on the other. I have looked through all the pictures I can find of old Vincent motorbikes but none of them look the same as this one. I am maybe thinking my dad was building a custom bike and just using a Vincent engine maybe. If any body could help me identify any parts on the bike that would be a massive help. Thanks Gary

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    967.4 KB · Views: 238
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    885 KB · Views: 222

ClassicBiker

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Definitely a HRD/Vincent engine. The engine number will determine when it was made and there fore which it is. The frame is another story though. No idea what it may have been originally. So I would say your assumption that your father was building a custom is correct.
Steven

Firevxr

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks for getting back to me Steven I do have a picture of the engine number a bit hard to make it out though. I need to clean it up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 81

greg brillus

VOC Member
Hi there Gary, Sorry your last picture is the top of a cylinder head......Engine number is on the left side crankcase, just bellow where the front cylinder joins the crankcases....Should read F10AB/xxxxxxxx Whatever after that. If it has /1/ It is a Rapide engine, and if it is /1B/ it is a Black Shadow engine. They are very similar except the Rapide engine was a cast alloy finish with polished covers, and the Black Shadow was painted in Gloss Black.....the Shadow engine was slightly higher spec than the Rapide. See how you go.....Cheers.....Greg.

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Yes, definitely an attempt to build a Special. The forks and wheels are Norton but the frame maybe rigid Triumph, the worst possible choice! Mind you, there are some useful bits there-e.g. Smiths Chronometric speedo and rev counter, a Miller Ammeter and a pair of pukka Amal racing handlebar levers, not to mention that Vincent engine.

Len Matthews

VOC Member
I should have added that REV is an Essex registration number, I wonder if that refers to the frame or the engine?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
There is a nice frame on E/bay, Egli style, If you can sort out frame numbers !! only £1650, In Dorset U.K. I think they are Maylem Frames but not sure, Cheers Bill.

Andy55

Forum User
VOC Member
Hi I discovered my dad's old motorbike the other day and I would like to find out a bit more about it. It has Vincent clearly on part of the engine and HRD on the other. I have looked through all the pictures I can find of old Vincent motorbikes but none of them look the same as this one. I am maybe thinking my dad was building a custom bike and just using a Vincent engine maybe. If any body could help me identify any parts on the bike that would be a massive help. Thanks Gary