ET: Engine (Twin) Installing A B-TH On A Twin: Getting The Allen Bolt Started

CarlHungness

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
While it may seem self-evident to some, my initial method of re-installing my B-TH on my twin presented a problem I spent too many minutes trying to solve. The unit has some wires located about one o'clock that are in direct line with the one bolt used to mount the mag. There are of course two studs that slip into the crankcase with no problem, but the Allen bolt has to snake past the wires atop the mag, and the task becomes frustrating
because the (supplied) long Allen 'wrench' that actually has a screwdriver style handle, is a
ball-end Allen allowing several degrees of offset movement to tighten the bolt. Thus, one
cannot insert the Allen bolt on to the wrench because the round ball on the end of the wrench just won't hold it (straight) very well. So when you try to slip the bolt onto the wrench the bolt flops, then you have to inveigle the floppy bolt past the proud wires and try to get it lined up with the bolt hole, that you surely cannot see without the aid of some well directed light. I've installed the unit in past years and recall the struggle. This time I was unsuccessful for far too long.
It finally dawned on me to "think opposite" as I usually do. So I removed the mag, inserted the bolt into the third hole and held it firmly with the supplied wrench. Then I simply offered the mag to its final position, twisted it ever so slightly, felt the bolt hit the hole, turned the wrench a bit to start it, and Bob's your uncle. I was a little embarrassed
the solution didn't occur to me earlier, so what was previously a royal pain turned out to be an ever-so-simple installation of the Allen bolt.

erik

VOC Member
Take the armature in one hand and insert the the screw with the inside hexagon in the corresponding hole . then insert the allen key and with one hand on the allen key pressing the bolt into the armature you bring it into place on the engine case and starting to screw in the bolt. While the bolt is screwed in the bTH starting to settle in place. I hope you understand what I mean. Erik

vibrac

VOC Member
I use a short section of cut allen key hexagon in a socket on a extension because its not just initial fitting its adjusting and removal

CarlHungness

VOC Member
Take the armature in one hand and insert the the screw with the inside hexagon in the corresponding hole . then insert the allen key and with one hand on the allen key pressing the bolt into the armature you bring it into place on the engine case and starting to screw in the bolt. While the bolt is screwed in the bTH starting to settle in place. I hope you understand what I mean. Erik
Isn't THAT exactly what I said I did? It only took me about half an hour to figure it out as I installed the unit,
THEN tried to put the Allen bolt in (as I had done a few times previously).

CarlHungness

VOC Member
I use a short section of cut allen key hexagon in a socket on a extension because its not just initial fitting its adjusting and removal
Yes, but getting the FAT part of the socket past the wires on the outside of the magneto is no fun. Plus one runs
the risk of rubbing on the wires and disturbing their coverings. But simply putting the bolt into the mag, then
inserting the tool into the bolt and offering up the whole plot to its position took only seconds to accomplish.

Albervin

VOC Member
Yes, but getting the FAT part of the socket past the wires on the outside of the magneto is no fun. Plus one runs
the risk of rubbing on the wires and disturbing their coverings. But simply putting the bolt into the mag, then
inserting the tool into the bolt and offering up the whole plot to its position took only seconds to accomplish.
I would have thought this would be intuitive. The supplied tool is quite adequate

CarlHungness

VOC Member
I am a dentist and working with limited space is my everyday job.And enough patience is an advantage.Erik
I have enough patience to build a violin, spend well over 2,000 hours on a piece of sculpture, spend more years than I can recall learning to play the violin, but having a bolt fall off the end of an Allen wrench when trying to insert it calls for some ingenuity. By the bye, I have more than the utmost respect for the dentists of the world, I know how long it takes to become one, and through great and sad experience I know what they can do inside of cramped spaces. Congratulations on achieving your title.