ikon shock

les dwight

New Forum User
VOC Member
anyone had any success with IKON shock on front of twin?first one supplied by aussie agent had bad blank spot so I sent it back, 2nd one supplied I fitted,unfortunately it is less effective than the well worn original I am wanting to replace!! something strange about these units.

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
anyone had any success with IKON shock on front of twin?first one supplied by aussie agent had bad blank spot so I sent it back, 2nd one supplied I fitted,unfortunately it is less effective than the well worn original I am wanting to replace!! something strange about these units.
Dear Les,
Not directly related to the Ikon damper but Rob Staley did a lot of testing, research and calculating on dampers. You might find some of the information he provided interesting.
You can read it at: http://coventryvoc.co.uk/machine_mods.htm

davidd

VOC Member
I am totally biased on this subject, but it is with at least a modicum of scientific basis. I have mentioned this before, but I had Joe Stimola from Penske Racing dyno all of the Vincent shocks I could get my hands on: Koni (predecessor to Ikon), Armstrong, Spax, and Thornton (Works Performance). He said only one was suitable and that was the Thornton. He was stunned at how close the graph was to a Penske shock graph. The closest performer was the Koni, which was some 300% out of the correct range.

In the real world of daily street riding, most riders simply do not find that there is a need for excellent damping. I would put myself in that category. Most of my recent riding was on the track and I would only use Thornton's. In some ways I think that you can now get the damping that you wish to pay for. A friend recent purchases some Ikons and I was not impressed with them, but he was happy.

You do have to change the oil in the Thornton's. If you are unhappy with the performance I believe Works Performance will rebuild and also re-valve them.

I understand that the original shock can be made to work well with some modifications, if you still have them.

I have never seen a performance graph of Rob's shocks, but Rob is very knowledgeable.

David

vibrac

VOC Member
I must admit I was very happy with the standard shocks (modified with good seals and recurculating ball valves) at Cadwell last weekend on the GF, I shall refill again just in case this winter but very good.
As for the IKON, my impartial open and close routine in my hands (not a full test thats for sure) could tell little difference from a good standard shock. perhaps they slavishly copied its entire set of characteristics -except its propensity to leak

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Standard front shock, re sealed , filled with a t f (as reccomended by Ted Davis) works well enough for most road applications. Why are you all trying to "re-invent the wheel"?

vibrac

VOC Member
What is this 'recirculating ball valve' modification?
"Forty Years on" contains the details ( books still rule) basically its a small hole in the brass cylinder a connecting hole up the center of the piston sealed by a ball bearing on the down stroke and a hollow plug screwed in. Stops air bubbles in the oil spoiling the action