ET: Engine (Twin) How To Eliminate Gap on Magneto Cowl

CarlHungness

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
When I tighten my mag cowl, the last half turn of the tommy bar raises the cowling about a quarter of an inch. The rod holding the plot wants to climb upwards taking the cowl with it. Suggestions? It reminds me of a door gap that shouldn't be there.

Attachments

• Vincent Cowl.MOV
    1.9 MB

ACD

Forum User
VOC Member
The trick is don't over tighten. Just as you see it begin to creep out, give it a bump with the base of your fist. Then nip it a little at a time giving it a bump each time. I've got knurled headed screws on mine similar in size to the knurled heads on the rear chain adjuster, by hand it's impossible to over tighten.

vibrac

VOC Member
Not a thing I ever noticed of course I may be tightening mine from the other end/side
from the primary side you rotate out of the slot from the timing side you rotate into the slot......

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I think Tim makes a good point, also Martyn Goodwin, much missed on this forum BTW, made a good suggestion, cut the thread longer on each end of the standard length FT155 and thread additional nuts that sit tight inside the sidestand plates, then just nip up the exterior nuts until tight.