Misc: Everything Else Headlight Sizes for Series ‘B’ and ‘C’s

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Are the converter rims available or do you have to beg them off existing owners as it seems like a sensible mod to me.
They have a split rim that is pulled together by something similar to the catch at the bottom of a Miller rim. They occasionally come up on eBay or similar sites and you may find them at an autojumble. If suitable rollers were available they could be made from brass sheets and plated. Potential sales would likely be too small for a company to make a batch unless you know "someone".

Chris Launders

VOC Member
They have a split rim that is pulled together by something similar to the catch at the bottom of a Miller rim. They occasionally come up on eBay or similar sites and you may find them at an autojumble. If suitable rollers were available they could be made from brass sheets and plated. Potential sales would likely be too small for a company to make a batch unless you know "someone".
I shall have to make a note of the relevant diameters for the shell and lens then and keep looking.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
There was a Lucas conversion split rim that allows 7” lens units to be fitted to 6.5” Miller headlight shell. I don’t know if this was what Vincent used originally or if to just another alternative but I have had one on my Rapide for 30 years along with a modern 7” lens. The clip was missing on mine so I had to make up one that looks like a Miller clip.

The magic part number to search for is Lucas 553153 and occasionally they appear on eBay, but a quick google search found this:

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
The Lucas split conversion adaptor rim was discussed here a few years ago:

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
I shall have to make a note of the relevant diameters for the shell and lens then and keep looking.
The American miller type pull together bezels are hard to find. They have miller embossed on the top, are slightly less thick than the standard 6 1/2” Millers.

I am sure one of the North American guys can post a photo. My good friend guy of the Vancouver section has a B touring balckshadow and it’s got the correct head lamp on it.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Dear Chris,
I have taken some photographs of a "spare" that I have. It has some dings, marks and no fittings. I have put a tape measure across so you can get an idea of the sizes.
I notice that Simon has put a link to a "new" rim with some corrosion for £65.00! Alternatively, this one is yours if you want it, gratis.
20220823_111230.jpg
20220823_111317.jpg
20220823_111420.jpg
20220823_163440.jpg
20220823_163508.jpg

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Dear Chris,
I have taken some photographs of a "spare" that I have. It has some dings, marks and no fittings. I have put a tape measure across so you can get an idea of the sizes.
I notice that Simon has put a link to a "new" rim with some corrosion for £65.00! Alternatively, this one is yours if you want it, gratis.View attachment 52649View attachment 52650View attachment 52651View attachment 52652View attachment 52653

That would be marvellous Eddy, I'll PM you my address later in case you haven't got it.

Chris.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
That would be marvellous Eddy, I'll PM you my address later in case you haven't got it.

Chris.
I have put the rim in the post today. If you can use it, good but at worst you have a pattern to compare with if searching autojumbles.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I have put the rim in the post today. If you can use it, good but at worst you have a pattern to compare with if searching autojumbles.
Thank you very much, I will keep my eyes open for more anyway, just in case others want one in the future.