E: Engine Hard starting.......due to cam timing.

DucATIRadeon

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I thought you was going to say you timed the ignition 180 degrees out,
I wouldn't have been surprised if it was! had the mag out for a clean (some greyish coagulated goo was all over the show inside, cleaned up all contacts inside and bolt back on) and it sparked a lot more blue 'bout 1cm distance from bare lead to the vice. front more spontaneous than before, rear solid repeated sparking every time.
didn't record how I found the camring before, thought sod it if it goes off you've got to start from scratch anyway.

had ducati bevel once with the cam timing out 180 degrees (has oldham coupling between the shafts running from engine base inside the tube to the head... kicking and banging...loudly...!
After all my years as a mechanic , Felt very SILLY.
I know the feeling!

greg brillus

VOC Member
Reversion is what you might see coming from the bellmouth of a carby when you rev the engine up........Generally it is from some type of performance engine where the cam overlap is great enough that combustion gasses being forced out the exhaust valve/port are still enough that when the inlet valve opens, some of these gases escape through the inlet port, just as the piston descends down the bore, and thus the negative pressure draws in the intake charge. This in effect causes the intake charge to be almost a "Double mixture" in strength due to the change in airflow out and then in through the carby.......This explains why in a performance engine like a Manx single, once the rev's drop bellow a certain range, the engine misses badly due to this excessive rich mixture.......once the rev's come up, and the engine clears itself, the reversion settles down and the engine performs as it should.........The cam is partly the problem, but exaust port and header pipe tuning also contribute very much in the way this all happens........this symptom was once called "Megaphoneitis"........It still happens, as it did to my racer........once I lengthened the header pipe quite a bit (near 300 mm) it took away all the above symptoms........In doing so it probably killed a little of the top end power, but the engine has such a large amount of torque the power loss at high revs is not an issue. When I road test my racer around the area where I live, I can feel the cold methanol (from the reversion) hitting the inside of my left leg.......with the small added castor oil in the mix.......better than aftershave I say....... Cheers.

eglijim

VOC Member
Just hoping I can start this thing with the long RGM Norton version kickstart when finished , should be helped by modified Harley (Ultima / Dyna )programmable ignition and twin plugs , 100x90 636cc and a Roy Robertson (Renwick ) GR6 cam with .44 lift , ported rear head 37mm at the flange and probably 38 or 40mm carb , should be an "interesting" road Egli Comet.

Attachments

• IMG_2906.jpeg
    IMG_2906.jpeg
    359.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2904.jpeg
    IMG_2904.jpeg
    478 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2902.jpeg
    IMG_2902.jpeg
    433.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2903.jpeg
    IMG_2903.jpeg
    424.9 KB · Views: 36

eglijim

VOC Member
Engine plates just about sorted now ( I think ) just need to decide on wheels / brakes and which belt primary to use but probably Bob Newby.

Attachments

• IMG_2920.jpeg
    IMG_2920.jpeg
    254.3 KB · Views: 15

vibrac

VOC Member
I have a Newby belt drive on my Grey Flash its great I have an electric start on my road Comet (haven't kick started the bike for over a year) that's great too. Now if I could only combine the two options.....