Front Forks Handlebar Posts/Clamps - Details Needed

BlackLightning998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Evening All, I'm looking to have a pair of long/high handlebar clamps for my 1938 HRD Series A Comet. See page 288 Back to A item 10 and photos.

Has anyone got either a detailed drawing that would allow a pair.to be manufactured or a pair not fitted to a bike that they could take some detailed photos for me and sufficient dimensions to allow a pair to be made?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Stuart

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Thanks Mark. His website only shows the shorter versions and I want the tall ones shown on page 288 of Back to A.

If anyone can help with a drawing/sketch and some dimensions then I can have some made.

Let me have your email and I'll send my full needs parts list in case you have any of your small buts left over that match needs I have.

Thanks for the assistance.

Stuart

Dinny

VOC Member
I have sent you a message with my email. I think the chances of finding taller ones is very slim.

My A is a very early one from May 35, it has the flat mounted handlebar mounts. I have never seen another pair like them.

It makes the bars even lower.

Thanks
Mark

Dinny

VOC Member
In Back to A p288, the longer handlebar clamps are not higher. They were for the early Amal type bars which mounter further back behind the damper.

I’m not sure I would want to mount them vertically.

Mark

Attachments

• 9F6B5860-0D59-4FE4-8EF8-BBA3445ABB09.jpeg
    9F6B5860-0D59-4FE4-8EF8-BBA3445ABB09.jpeg
    393.5 KB · Views: 30

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
In Back to A p288, the longer handlebar clamps are not higher. They were for the early Amal type bars which mounter further back behind the damper.

I’m not sure I would want to mount them vertically.

Mark
Ahh now that makes sense. I thought they were fitted vertically and lifted the bars higher. Now it explains why the clamping orientation is different, they were horizontal. Thanks so much.

Being tall and having ridden Nigel and found the bars cramped and when slow riding or maneuvering I found my knees fouling the vars and tank. So I've been pursuing options to raise raise bars and widen them in an attempt to improve the situation.

I've ordered standard later clamps from Mike Breeding and with his suggestion some 4140 bar to have an extension welded in to make the clamp longer/higher to chase making the bars set higher.

And am having bars made 3 inches wider.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge Mark, hugely appreciated.

Stuart

delboy

VOC Member
When fitting handlebar raisers, take note which type you have.
Many have just an ordinary bolt and chamfered nut to clamp the raiser to the FT210 "headclip". It pays to have the chamfered nut on the side nearest the rider and have the thinnest rubbers under the petrol tank you dare.
The reason is, the nuts come perilously close to the petrol tank top and often clash. Might also be due to the "A" Bramptons steering stop arrangement. [from vague memory]
There are other fork raisers in existence [which may be reproductions?] that do away with the chamfered nut and thread the casting, therefore giving clearance to the tank top.
delboy.

Attachments

• A handlebar clamp 1.JPG
    A handlebar clamp 1.JPG
    410.9 KB · Views: 20
  • A handlebar clamp 2.JPG
    A handlebar clamp 2.JPG
    422.8 KB · Views: 20