Fuel/Tanks H.R.D. and Mercury Crest Decals - Discussion?

BlackLightning998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Morning All,

So I'm learning, and would like to hear Forum Users views on the discussion of the border colour (White or Black) of HRD and Mercury Crest transfers.

I've read John Kidd's analysis in B2A.

I've looked at photos page 134.

I've studied photos pages 7 and 17 of Original Vincent.

I understand Neal Videan may have produced and offered black outline HRD and Mercury Crest transfers as part of his A Rapide project and his spare parts offering.

I have not yet found any European supplier (VOC or otherwise) offering black outline HRD and Mercury Crest.

My analysis is that it is highly possible that black outline HRD and Mercury Crest could have been applied originally to my 1938 HRD Series A Comet.

I.am currently pursuing a source of black outline HRD and Mercury Crest transfers, partly as I am restoring my bike as an homage to my father's Series A, partly as I deduce this may be original and I'm loosely following originality where I think it makes sense and finally as its my bike and I prefer the look of the black outline on a red stainless and black stainless tank.

Are any other members able to offer any light to the question...what would have been the original factory applied transfer outline colour in 1938?

Regards

Stuart

Last edited by a moderator:

delboy

VOC Member
I can only tell you the photos on page 134 of "Back to A" are from an untouched 1938 "A" Rapide tank.
Here they are in colour.
After the passage of time; who really knows for sure and who is left alive to say you are wrong!
Delboy.

Attachments

• A Mercury crest.JPG
    A Mercury crest.JPG
    403.3 KB · Views: 30
  • A Tank transfer.JPG
    A Tank transfer.JPG
    428.8 KB · Views: 31

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
I can only tell you the photos on page 134 of "Back to A" are from an untouched 1938 "A" Rapide tank.
Here they are in colour.
After the passage of time; who really knows for sure and who is left alive to say you are wrong!
Delboy.
Very many thanks. Yes, those have featured in forming my views. And yes, who was there to say its wrong.

I think I agree with John Kidd that they look better than white.

So now, the painter and his transfers/decals man will do the HRD in black outline.

I've written to ClassicTransfers.co.uk to see if they will make me 4 Mercury Crest in black outline.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks again.

Stuart

Dinny

VOC Member
John Kidd swears they should be black and I believe he paid for black transfers to be made. Classic transfers will not make them for you as I think John owns the printing tools or something like that.

I got mine from John, he may have some spare sets or he may get some more made but I’m not aware of another source. The background does look a little grey against the red tank though.

Attachments

• 5538D17F-AEA2-4C01-B0A8-9A05A212138C.jpeg
    5538D17F-AEA2-4C01-B0A8-9A05A212138C.jpeg
    480.2 KB · Views: 20

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I have John's on my A twin. Despite trying a few times I could not stop them going a sort of splotchy grey in the black areas when they dried.

stevee

VOC Member
Looking through B2A and magnifying the photos it's clear that many bikes have 'black' outlines on the tank decals, for example, the JAP engined bikes (pre-A) on page 17. On other pictures of bikes at the factory, or factory fresh, it's difficult to be sure, however, the factory picture of the 1935 Meteor clearly shows a white outline to the HRD. I guess both types were used! What a surprise!
Screen Shot 2023-01-21 at 13.25.16.png

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Many thanks all....clear as splotchy grey....

I'll email John.

I only need the Mercury Crests with Black Outline as my painter/liner produces the HRD himself and will do the black outline but the Mercury Crest is beyond his technology.

Many thanks everyone.

I'm going black....

Stuart