E: Engine Grosset starter sprag clutch bearing

robert shennan

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Many thanks, I have cleaned everything out but still the bearing slips every other time. My thoughts are the bearing needs changed. Does anyone have the bearing number?

robert shennan

Active Forum User
VOC Member
First things first, the sprag should NOT be well lubricated. Too much grease in the rollers means that the rollers do not pivot properly and as such do not get to the point where they need to be to jam properly. So take out the sprag, degrease , then using the lubricant supplied just VERY lightly coat the surfaces of the tracks, dont get grease or lubricant on the pivots. Then come back to me a tell me what happens.
Hello Trevor,

I cleaned everything and very lightly greased the bearing tracks. On refitting the sprag and starting with the starter cover of it will turn the engine over twice and then just start slipping again. I used some general purpose grease while I am waiting for the correct grease to be delivered. Again I am thinking that the bearing needs changed but would be grateful for your advice. I am wondering if the excess grease could have come from greasing the double gear through the grease nipple.

Bob

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Can somebody post a photo of that sprag clutch when no hassles to find one for us ? Lots of sprag clutches to find in Ebay or Aliexpress for Ducati and all. Seems these things got no rollers anymore but some funnily shaped bits that tilt for grip in action. So I would not suspect lubrication to be critical when they run in engine oil ?

Vic