E: Engine Grosset starter sprag clutch bearing

robert shennan

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello,
It looks like the sprag clutch on my Grosset starter has given up the ghost. The sprag clutch spins with no turning of the engine. I opened up the sprag clutch for a look and did not see any damage with the internals looking well lubricated.
I am sure that in the past there was mention of the bearing number / supplier, however wading through the pages of Grosset starter posts I have been unable to find the information.
Many thanks in advance.
Bob

Trickymicky

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I contacted them regarding the oil seal and the grease specification. Found them very helpful with the information i needed, enabling me to buy what i wanted locally. I'm sure they would help - pontricoul@gmail.com

clevtrev

VOC Member
First things first, the sprag should NOT be well lubricated. Too much grease in the rollers means that the rollers do not pivot properly and as such do not get to the point where they need to be to jam properly. So take out the sprag, degrease , then using the lubricant supplied just VERY lightly coat the surfaces of the tracks, dont get grease or lubricant on the pivots. Then come back to me a tell me what happens.

clevtrev

VOC Member
OK, I will do this tomorrow, although the grease is the original as received from Francois I have not applied any additional grease.
That pot of grease should last at least 20 years, so you can guess how much to use, so just make sre to degrease the spag, but don`t bother with the faces.

robert shennan

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Trev,
I have had the starter fitted for a few years now and to be honest I am not sure where the original packet of grease is. What grease should it be and I can buy some more

robert shennan

Active Forum User
VOC Member
OK, I have washed out the bearing thoroughly and it now turns in one direction as it should. The next issue is that I no longer have the special grease so can you tell me what type it is. I do have various greases; silicone, underwater and general purpose grease EP2. If these are unsuitable I will get the correct grease tomorrow.