Graham and Vic Buller Racer

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
As I mentioned in the Restoring Chopped Cases thread I was sorry to hear that Vic Buller had passed. I was inspired by their racing. Highbury and Bill wanted to know about the duel float bowl in one of the photos of the 500 racer:
BullerComet.jpg

Unfortunately, I was hoping someone could explain it to me!

My guess is that they experienced fuel starvation. I think that the most forward float bowl is a top feed with no float and no vent. Thus, it is acting as a gravity feed reservoir that is supplying the real float bowl just aft through the bottom banjo. The feed off the rear float chamber appears to go to a "Tee". This feeds the carb as well as the clear plastic line that runs up and above the outside of the carb to indicate the float level. This all appears to be a result of a fuel delivery problem which may have been exacerbated by a left side carb cutaway, but the photo is cropped at the top so we cannot tell.

Buller Racer_1.jpg

The above photo is from the Duncan Wherrett book Vincent published by Osprey Automotive, 1994. It was taken at Mallory in 1993 with Graham aboard. I suspect it is a later photo than the one of the engine above. There is only one float bowl, but you can see two petcocks on this side and I assume there is another on the other side.

Another notable feature of this bike is the coil-over front shock.

David

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
It was a Methanol drinker so perhaps they had fuel feed problems our Comet which ran against it for a season or so had a TT carb but I fed it with 3 X 3/8" pipes to a standard bowl and it never suffered starvation. In the end we gave up on Methanol the housekeeping was not worth the candle