G19 gearbox mainshaft spacer

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I think Trev's absolutely right......Just remember to tighten that C 20 nut fully......then your E 76 shim won't ware away to nothing....;)

highbury731

VOC Member
I think Trev's absolutely right......Just remember to tighten that C 20 nut fully......then your E 76 shim won't ware away to nothing....;)

I think you mean the G23 gearbox sprocket nut.

I have to confess that I have been working with the shafts fitted but no sprocket and nut G23. Will this have affected measurements?

As I posted above, there's no E76 present. If I understand things correctly, the thinnest E76 is .031" thick, and there's only .021" clearance available, as measured. A .010" or .015" shim would do the biz, I think. But they aren't on offer..... Or use a standard .031" one and dress .015" off the left end of the output shaft.

Paul

greg brillus

VOC Member
Can I ask a question.......why is the gearbox apart in the first place. Sorry I'm not trying to be a wise guy, it just seems to me that there appears to be nothing major wrong with what you have told us. The 0.021 thou clearance at the two shafts is not going to cause any problem.......Greg.

highbury731

VOC Member
Can I ask a question.......why is the gearbox apart in the first place. Sorry I'm not trying to be a wise guy, it just seems to me that there appears to be nothing major wrong with what you have told us. The 0.021 thou clearance at the two shafts is not going to cause any problem.......Greg.
The motor was completely stripped for a full rebuild - the cases had never been parted before, but it had some major problems. The alloy idle gear was on the absolute point of dropping all its teeth, and the big end was full of the debris. Most of the timing spindles were absent due to o/s holes. All that is left of the original timing chest is the breather pinion. Trevor did lots of re-engineering.

So now I'm in the process of reassembling it, hopefully without making any new problems..... It's been apart for a while, and I've not worked on a Vincent before, so it's possible for errors to creep in.

I have a feeling you do know what you are doing and are not being a 'wiseguy'.

Paul

greg brillus

VOC Member
That's OK Paul, I just didn't know what or where you had started from. It is normal for the G 12 third gear to have a little back and forth movement once the G 4 shaft and both the g 19 and g 20 washers are in place, this with the assembly tightened once the output sprocket the G22 seal cup and the G23 nut fully tightened. Then try and shim the G3 input shaft to give the 0.005 clearance as Trevor said, so once the G2 cover plate is bolted home you get minimal movement/end float at that shaft.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Paul, You are doing it again, You are going from one end of the gear box to the other, Greg told you to do up C20 tight to save wearing out E76 shim, And you say he ment G23 Sprocket nut, Which is at the other end. I think you should put the sprocket and G23 on and tighten it, That could be the problem, Cheers Bill.