G19 gearbox mainshaft spacer

highbury731

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am trying to shim up my gearbox mainshaft. The spacer G19 I have is .012" thick at the shaft, and thinner further out. Is this normal or is it damaged? What is the standard shim thickness, are there other sizes available?

With this spacer I got .021" end float, so one solution would be two G19 shims. Or what?

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
I am trying to shim up my gearbox mainshaft. The spacer G19 I have is .012" thick at the shaft, and thinner further out. Is this normal or is it damaged? What is the standard shim thickness, are there other sizes available?

With this spacer I got .021" end float, so one solution would be two G19 shims. Or what?
From what you say your G91 is correct and not damaged. What you need is shims E76 which vary in thickness from. 031 " to .010" in the following steps .031"
.062" .093"" .005" and finally .010" These shims fit on the main shaft between the gear wheel G6 and the gearbox bearingE91. see pages Mo32 andMo16 in the spare parts list.

stumpy lord

clevtrev

VOC Member
What is the correct 'end float'?
There is no end float. What one is trying to achieve, is a minimal clearance between G6 and the end of the output shaft. I use 5 thou. This is something that needs to be checked. This is done by taking out the existing shim, assembling the whole of the mainshaft components, bolting on the cover, then move the mainshaft back and forth. This will give you the limit of travel, measure this, deduct 5 thou, there you have the thickness required for YOUR engine. All this trouble will give you the best engagement of the double gear into G6. I have seen them with as little as .020" of engagement.

greg brillus

VOC Member
It needs a gap between to let gearbox oil into the output shaft bush's. Trev's suggestion at 5 thou would be a minimum. So it is an oil clearance rather than end float. Some output shafts have oil holes drilled in them, but not many I have seen. I have found gearbox's with end float on the mainshaft, but this was due to excessive play in the bearing itself.

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
It needs a gap between to let gearbox oil into the output shaft bush's. Trev's suggestion at 5 thou would be a minimum. So it is an oil clearance rather than end float. Some output shafts have oil holes drilled in them, but not many I have seen. I have found gearbox's with end float on the mainshaft, but this was due to excessive play in the bearing itself.
Or a clapped out E76

highbury731

VOC Member
From what you say your G91 is correct and not damaged. What you need is shims E76 which vary in thickness from. 031 " to .010" in the following steps .031"
.062" .093"" .005" and finally .010" These shims fit on the main shaft between the gear wheel G6 and the gearbox bearingE91. see pages Mo32 andMo16 in the spare parts list.

stumpy lord

If I read things correctly, MO16 shows spacer E76 between gear G6 and output shaft G4. I pulled the shaft G3 with G6, and found no E76 behind it. I think that's the issue. I need an E76, VOC Spares lists them in .005", .010", .031" - and I want one .015" to get .005" float. Maybe Maughans?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Highbury, Some thing is going wrong here, E76 goes between G6 and the bearing in G2, It is held tight when you do up the clutch nut C20, Spin often happens and E76 wears, and sometimes breaks up, I have found 31 thou one is most used, At the other end you could grind a few Vs on the inner end of G4 ,To let the oil get to the G16 and G17, But Trev will tell you it will leak oil !, Or you could put Trev's Special grease inside G4, It is good !! to have some Lube in there !! Good Luck. If I have got this wrong !! Shout out !, Because Highbury needs help, Cheers Bill.