Front Mudguard

Vincent Brake

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi
I want to put a smaller front mudguard on a 19 inch wheel.
in STAINLESS Steel on my BS.
I have allready bought 5 different ones online, but neither are OK.
who knows where to obtain one:

cross section: wide 110-120 mm, (4 1/4 ") height of the full radius "C" about 35-40 mm
fitting over a tire 19inch??

all this only to avoid:
the "normal" vincent gap between tyre and fender (my mother in low fits in it normally, and i wont have her hiding in my bike)

All suggestions welcome

Vincent- brake-Speet

davidd

VOC Member
Vincent,

I don't know if you will like it, but I have always made the fender mounts attached to the bridge plate to lower the fender. I have lowered it quite a bit on the racer, as has Carleton Palmer:
Deland99 002.jpg

I have done this to a lesser extent on street bikes. It is a compromise of all the gaps. Two of the three North American Grey Flashes, by the way. The A is the Ex-Eric Oliver mount.

David

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Fit a 21 inch rim and tire fill the space, Gray Flashes & Lightnings had them as standard, I fitted mine in late sixties now changed it to a WM2 alloy wonted to fit WM3 but can't buy them although Avon reccomend them ! Very good choice of tires too. THOSE 20" with less than 3.0 mm usable tread on a ribbed one, OK for the standard look and to use occasionally sedately on a club run! I want mile-age for my money, but admit still have a 19" on sons "D"
bananaman

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
On my Rapide I intend to do something similar with my new front guard when I fit it. I use 19" wheels and have always thought that it would look better and maybe even work better with less of a gap between tyre and guard.
As an aside we used a similar setup to yours for the handle bar lever, cables and fork bracket on my racing Sunbeam. It was easy and cheap to make with sundry bits of metal from under the bench. It worked very well. We did try a balance arm system like the standard Vincent installation but there was too much lost motion. We didn't have the time or parts at the time to experiment with different lever lengths/ratios to make it work.

vibrac

VOC Member
Yes after many tries I settled on handlebar tree and fixed adjusters to rear brake arms on the front, very effective when restricted to 'standard' brakes I must get round to fitting some springs to the arms rather than rubber bands the FF74's don't fit alloy plates but then they were never meant to.
There is plenty of air getting to the front cylinder with the mudguard lowered so it runs cool, perhaps thats why I never saw any real mileage out of methanol.
Bens choice those 18" AM23 better rubber and suits his style, Bramptons and 20" for me:confused:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Marcus, I like the idea of 21" wheel, What sort of tyres can you get, Any chance of a Ribbed ?. A lot of people say the 20" is safer than a 19", I would not dare use an 18", But I know Vibrac's bike goes well. The safest I ever felt was on my L/ning in the 80s with a pair of red arrows, Ribbed 19" front and 18" on the rear, They were THE sports tyre of the day and I felt I could put that bike anywhere. Cheers Bill.

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
The safest I ever felt was on my L/ning in the 80s with a pair of red arrows, Ribbed 19" front and 18" on the rear, They were THE sports tyre of the day and I felt I could put that bike anywhere. Cheers Bill.

I think that the navigation is pretty good with 19" Avon Roadriders, but then I did not particularly like the feel from a ribbbed front tyre, due to it appearing to track and follow road imperfections. I suppose it is each to his own.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Hi guys any news on this topic??

I want to put a smaller front mudguard on a 19 inch wheel.
in STAINLESS Steel on my BS.
I have allready bought 5 different ones online, but neither are OK.
who knows where to obtain one:

cross section: wide 110-120 mm, (4 1/4 ") height of the full radius "C" about 35-40 mm
fitting over a tire 19inch??

21 inch i have nowadays, but the trail becomes to long, it will become a highway queen......
my rap has 19 and an 19 ALU fender, very nice very nice,

now one in stainless........

vibrac

VOC Member
In stainless? better take those 3 guards to a competent tin basher with some good english wheels perhaps he can decrease the radius on one before it work hardens-but don't hold your breath. you may have to settle for an alloy one.