FF: Forks Fork Travel

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Although I didn’t have a tank slapper, there was very little front end movement. My suspicions were confirmed when the Ammeter fell apart on a mid sized pothole. You could argue that with the state of our roads, some mid sized potholes would swallow a bike and rider. I’m going to try removing the inner springs with 1 inch of packing next, to see what differences I can feel.
We all need a Hydraulic steering damper. Cheers Bill.

Last edited by a moderator:

greg brillus

VOC Member
There are a lot of variables with the front end clearances.............the size of the front wheel, thus the length of the lower guard stay, the shape of the front exhaust pipe, if the forks are actually bent...............I bet there are many bikes on the road with bent forks and the owners don't even know.........If the steering head bearings have been repaired changing the pocket heights, most all bikes I have done the stem change to the distance between the fork blade spindles and the stem spindles are within 1 mm of being the same. If this is not the case then something will change, as I have said before even leaving out the lower FF 36 washer will alter this.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Although I didn’t have a tank slapper, there was very little front end movement. My suspicions were confirmed when the Ammeter fell apart on a mid sized pothole. You could argue that with the state of our roads, some mid sized potholes would swallow a bike and rider. I’m going to try removing the inner springs with 1 inch of packing next, to see what differences I can feel.

I think you will find that the whole headlight and all of it's contents will be no smoother no matter what you have for for travel or dampening as it is mounted to the forks which are unsprung!

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
The roads are really bad in UK, I have just hit the same pothole 2 times in a few days, It does not look that bad,
The second time , My foot flew of the footrest and the rest popped up, "rear footrest ".
I feel like going back and sticking a flag in it !.
These poor push bike riders, Don't know how they don't get killed.
Cheers Bill.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Bill, its not much better here...........the only decent roads in Australia are in Canberra the Nations capital full of public servants, so of course the roads will be great there. I don't think Governments have any money to fix roads properly anymore. Thank God modern vehicles have such good/ soft suspension, as our poor old bikes get smashed.......................:(.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
The problem is world wide. Here in Michigan we joke that we have two seasons, winter and construction. The annoying bit is, it is the same roads that keep getting repaired. No sooner is a road repair completed than they tear is up again. They powers that be keep telling us they need to raise taxes to do effective and long lasting repairs but the state coffers have a surplus. New businesses won't locate here because the infrastructure is such crap and businesses that are located here are leaving because the infrastructure is such crap. When the county executive tells residents to dial 911 (emergency response number) when you hit a pot hole and it breaks your wheel to drive the point home to the state government that the roads are terrible and the state responds that it is cheaper for the state to replace damaged wheels than repair roads, you know you have problems. On a lot of levels. It is a wonder that more people aren't killed.
Steven

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Ok, I have run out of cash, So I thought those 2p coins in the front spring boxes will have to come out.
I had 1. 1/2" of coins before, Each side.
On the Comet, Never been happy with the short springs, Tried lots of mix, Red + standard.
Red and Blue, Now tried red=red + 2.1/2" packing, Each side, I did a Vibrac and looked for a Broom handle.
The Wife will have to Fly on something else !.
Best ever, Standard forks/Shocker. Cheers Bill.